When getting forum advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nobody is perfect. We operate in a environment where there is still much to be known. The basics haven't changed much though. Using forums has been as effective, for me, as the piles of books and magazines I use to pour over to find answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
I couldn't agree more! Minus the book part;) I'm a product of the tech age....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Since we are 5 pages deep,
Most agreeing it is hard to know who to listen to.
Many being uncomfortable to post if they are not 100% correct,
and a disclaimer for any thing that may qualify someone to give advice( I said MOST old guys!!)
I'll add that breeders are the guys you want to talk to.
Many general hobbiest are slack on disease identification , treatments and proper conditions for a fish to be kept in.(am I overstocked in my 10G????)
Not a successful breeder!
A good breeder understands and performs the necessary actions,treatments and provides the proper conditions.:cool:
So maybe 10k post is worth something but IMO not as much as the word and pictures of breeders.:eek:
We did already say to vet or qualify your info source right?:whistle:
Ask for pictures,ask for links.....:facepalm:
We are all supposed to be sharing and learning.(y)
I hope to learn everyday,thanks to many who post regulary here.:thanks:
I haven't been here long but I know who to ask about disease,breeding and regular "tomfoolery" already!:dance:
I would like to post questions that I think I know the answer to,but I already do this to employees at fish stores for years.(This is how you vet someone!!).

I agree. There is housing fish and then there is spawning fish. Same as the FW industry. I tended to listen to those that had tanks full of hundreds of thousands of fry. In order to spawn fish you really have to have your act together IMO. Same with corals. When you have it dialed in you can grow amazing things from scraps the LFS throws away.

All I can add is my old science and english teacher would be proud. Not only are we on the forum to test theories and become better fish keepers; here we are into the philosophy of one area of the hobby (er, I think?!).

One way I look at it is you learn off whoever you learn off (mom and pop store, forum, Internet). You know you have learnt it when you can explain successfully to someone else.

I see lots of threads where someone has joined to sort out say a cycled tank. Several months later they are helping someone else and sharing their experience. I'm sure it's not all perfect but we all seem to muddle by.

I agree. There is housing fish and then there is spawning fish. Same as the FW industry. I tended to listen to those that had tanks full of hundreds of thousands of fry. In order to spawn fish you really have to have your act together IMO. Same with corals. When you have it dialed in you can grow amazing things from scraps the LFS throws away.

I'm with you on this one Greg. (y) There is definitely a difference between those who have fish spawn "accidentally" and those who set up fish to spawn so that they can raise the young with or without the parents. Good knowledge about fish from fish breeding is no accident. It's from it being repetitive. (y)

Back
Top Bottom