20g Semi Planted To Heavily Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wynter-queen

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay first let me explain the situation
I currently had a problem with those pesty snails that hitchhiked upon my two anubias i received awhile ago. My tank was already sustaining water issues from a bug bomb that was placed in my room without my knowledge. My neon tetras and mystery snail all passed away before i could restore the water back to saftey from the chemicals. Unfortunately the snails survived :banghead:

Result
So since i am a pansy and refuse to kill living creatures i will be having help and just do a 100% waterchange and re-cycle my tank. I decided i want a heavily planted tank this time but i have no expierence at all with those.

Substrate
So im aware getting substrate with nutrients for the plants would be useful and was wondering what people suggest the most to use and how much i would need for a 20gallon. I hear flourite is the best one around but im not quite sure if thats true.

Filter and Heater
Secondly would a standard heater and filter be fine? I hear externail power filters are better than canister filters for such the size of the tank? I plan on putting more neon tetras and shrimp after its cycled.

Chemicals
I know im suppose to provide Co2 for the plants but what other chemicals and food source do they need? For the anubias i simply used tablets. :confused:

Lighting
At the moment i only have LED lighting but was planning on buying the required lighting once again does anyone suggest a certain one that i can buy in local stores or on amazon?

Plants!
Lastly and most importantly What plants you guys suggest for the tank! ( and what process you guys use to make sure there are no hitchhikers and how to kill them indirectly)

Thanks :thanks: for the help i just want to have a nice running tank to add my shrimp and later tetras in. Any feedback would be appreciated! No huge rush.

~ From Your Dearest, Wynter-Queen

Is this a 20high or 20long ?

I use black sand and root tabs. Because my tanks are small I get away with liquid ferts and I use Excel but you can save money by buying metricide instead.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420972227.694314.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Plain gravel is fine for easy plants. Cheaper that fertilized substrates. I use ADA Amazonia and black gravel mix in one tank, plain tan gravel in the other and fluval stratum for my nano tanks.

Anubias are meant to be tied to driftwood. They don't like being planted in the soil so tablets don't do much for them. Same goes for Java ferns. Root tabs are good for Amazon swords and crypts because they are heavy root feeders. Stem plants are always cheap and easy to grow.

Stick with LED light don't get too much lighting you'll have algae problems.

Flourish is a good liquid supplement for your plants. (Not flourish excel) co2 is not mandatory but preferred. Can get expensive unless you diy

As for snails, just leave a large leaf of lettuce in the tank after lights off and they'll swarm to eat it. Then take the lettuce out snails and all. Don't get assassin snails. I had one before and it ate the other snails but then started quickly making hundreds of baby assassin snails :(

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom