29 gallon planted log

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I have always wanted to do a "correct" log like everyone else does, so I figured I would start mine now.
Equipment
29 gallon aquarium
stand
lighting
150watt heater
65watt, 10,000k cf
1x18watt, 10,000k T5
1x18watt, antic (sp?) T5(soon to be changed out with a plant bulb)
Filtration
renafilstar XP1

I just ordered 2 bags of eco-complete so when It gets here I will post pictures of the tank (still have to empty the saltwater out and clean it lol)

I am so excited about this tank! I don't have a set "theme" though I would like to make it "look" like a south american theme but I am not going to stick strait to the biotope rules.
I plan on dosing flourish (since I already have it) excel, (I also have iron and the flourish trace element one) and possibly DIY CO2, but that is not for certain yet. I will need help with dosing plans when I get there...
again, so excited

well today I decided to clean the tank so that when people come over tomorow for Thanksgiving it will at least have clean freshwater in it rather than some crappy, dirty, sand and water mix LOL
so pictures of it half filled, waiting for eco to get here...

img_835645_0_ddfc36cd503aa03d5e51b7e461471a7d.jpg

img_835645_1_afe50b5524152ab4c714ba68755c660e.jpg

img_835645_2_60c3cd7aff97b15b099ec50e837d2dda.jpg

*edit* those pictures came out terriable!!! you guys know I can do better right? :?

I need to get rid of the actinic light, and get somthing else in its place, but other than that, I cant wait until my eco gets here so I can start my cycle!!!

*edit again*- all comments, suggestions, etc welcome!

I dont think there is a need to get rid of the actinic. as long as you have enough daylight wattage you will be able to grow plants, but this actinic will give everything in your tank a nice clean colour aswel as highlight the fish.

I think it looks awsome, but one suggestion. Clean the back of the tank a little bit.

Can't wait to see that baby scaped!

Thanks! I did clean it, that one picture was before I got water in it...
I am still waiting on eco... LOL

thanks
well eco got here and I got all plants transferred! though I just took the wood out because thanks to freind, I found out it is poisonous... so tomorrow I will have to get some fish safe driftwood... (makes me mad... I LOVE the way the tank looks with the wood, sucks that I have to take it out)
tank had a mini cycle, as earlier today I could smell the ammonia, and now water parimeters are
ammonia-0ppm
nitrate-0-5ppm
nitrite-0ppm
ph-7.6
temp-77ish

img_836220_0_1ef285f4518790f2b5fee4fe12471308.jpg

img_836220_1_27f399671ced056090c1aa9b52ba9e5f.jpg

img_836220_2_9f7a8c36247afd2cbef74be43113a346.jpg

What type of wood is it? Your tank looks amazing by the way. Can't wait for more keep posting!

thanks for the compliments... unfortunately, I found out that the particular wood (grape wood?) is poisonous to fish... who knew.. so I had to take it out :( but thanks for the nice compliments! I just did that today by random :)

well I went and spent a ton of money on plants etc. got some new driftwood with javamoss already attached. Cycle has is going well,
Ammonia-.50ppm
Nitrite-.25ppm
Nitrate-0ppm
so I am hoping it ends fast... LOL

thanks for the compliments :)
updated picture of the tank
(btw the swordtail is not in the tank anymore, he is in the 5gall until the cycle finishes)

img_836745_0_d401fcaad41ff8bc1cfc8ce282bef4e9.jpg

I am dosing flourish excel every other day so far...

Cycle is moving along nicely...
Ammonia-0 ppm (ammonia spike has happend already I guess)
Nitrite-2.0 ppm
Nitrate-10 ppm
I also did a WC (after I tested water), and got some pearling!

blazeyreef said:
Cycle is moving along nicely...
Ammonia-0 ppm (ammonia spike has happend already I guess)
Nitrite-2.0 ppm
Nitrate-10 ppm
I also did a WC (after I tested water), and got some pearling!

No NH3 is expected with that amount of light and using Excel. Plants LOVE NH3 more so then NO3.

well the cycle is over... YAY!
Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrate-0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
ph-7.6 (trying to lower it though)
having a small trouble with hair algae, I think it came in one some of the plants... but its not huge yet so It should be gone soon... I hope

oh yes, I have two of the most beautiful GBR's in quarantine right now, they have purple and pink mixed in with their blue... true beauties. A friend offered to get me some apistos for christmas, so if that happens, they will either get along, OR, another reason to set up a new tank :) LOL
also, I want a large school of harlequin rasbora, one other schooling fish (cherry barb or glowlight tetra) some male guppies, and some coryadoras and ottos :)
I have not worked out the kinks yet, but thats the jist

ok, stock listing as folows

3. ottos
3. glowlight tetra (plan to get six more soon)
3. false juli coryadoras (plan to get four more soon)
2. german blue ram

plants
Cabomba aquatica
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Egeria densa
Ludwigia palustris
Microsorium pteropus
Nymphaea lotus var. rubra
Vesicularia dubyana

hoping to get plants growing well, then get some more species!
pics to come soon
GBR (and the flash does not show any colors that the two gbrs dont show naturally, they both look like this all day... every day LOL)

img_838516_0_cbbe79d699c101e601e8cc2d4fec89b1.jpg

Coryadoras
img_838516_1_0d09245a390130e64e56642a01c0ac58.jpg

FTS... picture itself is not great, but gives you an idea of what the tank looks like LOL
img_838516_2_1471f8b41dd385003cf16a8bcee1ac36.jpg

Back
Top Bottom