3 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jolee0722

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had the tank set up for six months now and I am hoping to convert it into a planted tank. Right now, my substrate is gravel, so what substrate would you recommend. Ago, my heater just broke, so what new heater would you recommend? I was thinking maybe a eheim 50 watt heater. Is that good for my tank.,I also have an aquaclear 20 as a filter, and would chemipure, purigen, and filter floss good filtration for freshwater too or would that be too much. Sorry about all the questions, but one last one. What light would you recommend for my small 3 gallon to keep plants. It is a bow front.

I have had the tank set up for six months now and I am hoping to convert it into a planted tank. Right now, my substrate is gravel, so what substrate would you recommend. Ago, my heater just broke, so what new heater would you recommend? I was thinking maybe a eheim 50 watt heater. Is that good for my tank.,I also have an aquaclear 20 as a filter, and would chemipure, purigen, and filter floss good filtration for freshwater too or would that be too much. Sorry about all the questions, but one last one. What light would you recommend for my small 3 gallon to keep plants. It is a bow front.
If you want to change your substrate you can look at EcoComplete. I like sand. I use root tabs as needed about every 4 months. My favorite is Tahitian Moon Sand ( black) Straight gravel can work, but it's not the best. Light ? I use a screw in CFL I buy 6,500k CFLs off Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1338862052&sr=8-1

Thanks for ye advice. I was thinking of going with sand. Would you recommend Black or white sand. Also is the eheim 50 watt heater good for a 3 gallon.

Thanks for ye advice. I was thinking of going with sand. Would you recommend Black or white sand. Also is the eheim 50 watt heater good for a 3 gallon.

Personally I use black sand. Doesn't show debris as easily and really makes the fishes' colors deepen.

Heater ? I'd think a 25 or even a 10 watt would work. 50 might be overkill ??

Not sure as I don't heat my tanks. My room stays pretty warm.

A 25 watt heater works just fine in a 5 gallon for me. 50 would be too much I think.

I went ahead and bought the eheim jäger 50 watt heater. I figure that I will just turn the heater down a little to compensate for size. I also decided to buy a 5 lb. bag of sunset gold sand. It looks like normal sand, just a little bit darker. It is not black sand, though. I also bought a finnex fugeray r ultra slim light. It is 10" long and clip on for medium light plants.

With that light you need to use ferts and liquid carbon. For ferts I'd start with using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive and API Leaf Zone. Use both as directed weekly. Then for liquid carbon I'd suggest using 1ml of Seachem Excel for every 2 gallons of tank water daily.

How long would I need to do that for? Also, the seachem stuff is root tabs right?

Would I be able to use a DIY co2 generator instead of liquid carbon?

How long would I need to do that for? Also, the seachem stuff is root tabs right?

You use ferts as long as you have plants. The brands I recommended are liquid ferts for using in the water, they are not root tabs for using in the substrate. Liquid ferts and root tabs are two totally different types of fertilizers with one for using in the water column and one in the substrate. Swords, crypts, bulb plants, and wisteria all need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders. Other plants absorb nutrients from the water which is why you use ferts in water.

Yes, you can use DIY CO2 instead of liquid carbon.

Okay, so when I get plants, I should buy some root tabs and liquid nutrients, correct?

Ok, good to know. I will try and buy them as soon as possible. Would I need to put anything under the sunset gold sand or would the sand be enough for the plants as long as the liquid nutrients, co2 reactor, and root tabs?

Honestly the sand will work fine. I don't recommend dirting a tank for someone just getting into plants. Just use your ferts and liquid carbon and you'll be fine.

OK got the sand and light today hopefully I will put the sand in the tank today.

This is my tank as of now. There is a white cloud and zebra danio in it. I will change the substrate out tomorrow.

ForumRunner_20131204_212012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom