55 gal vs 75 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marie74

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon stand, filter and I picked up a 55 gallon at the petco $1 gallon sale, but I keep hearing that you can do so much more with a 75 gallon.

I want to do a low tech planted with rainbowfish (maybe 6?), cory's (5?) and a schooling tetra.

So... my dilemma- I have a couple tanks for sale, I could return the 55, and watch for a deal on a 75, or just go ahead with what I have.

The advantage being I already have what I need for the 55....
But I don't want to set up the 55 then regret it and want a 75.
So, is a 75 that much better for aquascaping, etc?

I have a 55 and a 75. There is more room for aquascaping in the 75 due to surface area.

55G [48x12] 4sq ft surface area
75G [48x18] 6sq ft surface area

Actually a 40G[36x18] is 4.5sq ft so even that is bigger than a 55 when it comes to surface area.

I've been told rainbows require at least a 4 foot tank. 40b is a great size, though!
Would rainbows be cramped in a 55?

55 has it's advantages too- I don't need to buy a bigger filter, and it is easier to clean! ... I just don't want to get it all set up and realize I should have gone with a 75. I already have multi tank syndrome- hence why I have tanks for sale! I just moved and I don't have room for a bunch of tanks, just ONE good one! :ROFLMAO:

I have already wasted a lot of money on smaller tanks and I just moved up to a 75 gallon with stand I'm excited to be setting it up I probably should've gone right for the big tank in the first place

Back
Top Bottom