55 gallon planted tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eliscofield

Aquarium Advice Newbie
To start off this is my first post so feel free to move it I was not entirely sure where to put it. I am starting up a 55 gallon freshwater planted tank and I want to put in as many small tightly schooling fish as possible. The more options the better. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Also as I could use some lo light lo tech plant ideas.

Also as I could use some lo light lo tech plant ideas.

Cryptocoryne sp., Anubias sp., Val, Dwarf Sag, Java Fern (many different varieties out there), Echinodorus sp., Bucephalandra, and Marsilea are all great options. Look at those species, and Google low tech aquascapes so you can get some ideas down.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99729

Look at this thread from TPT too. It'll give you some ideas.

Just checked them out on Google. I love them! Do glass catfish school.

Just checked them out on Google. I love them! Do glass catfish school.

I believe they do--schoal rather. From what I've read, they are rather shy and need a large group. Subdued lighting is recommended for them, which will be covered with low lighting if you'd choose to get them. This is a fish I'd love to try one day.

Check out Harlequin Rasboras, Bentos Tetras, Cherry Barbs, Red Phantom Tetras, and Cardinal Tetras. Any of them would be a great option as they all contrast greenery nicely.

Thank you so much this forum is so helpful.

How many schools should I put in and how many in each school?

How many schools should I put in and how many in each school?

With a 55 you've got plenty of room to have good-sized schools of small fish, but it also depends on the filtration you have. Aquarium Adviser can give you a good rough estimate.

For example, two schools of 13 each, harlequin rasboras and neon tetras, would be easily doable. And you'd have room for larger "centerpiece" fish. (y)

Back
Top Bottom