55 Gallon: T5HO or T8 Shop Lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fairybolt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been doing a lot of reading over the past few weeks, and boy has lighting changed since I got out of fishkeeping!

Specifically, I'm looking to light my upcoming 55 gallon aquarium. Originally, after doing some research, I had settled on Catalina Aquariums' single bulb T5HO fixture, but I'm now concerned this may be overkill and cause me all manner of problems unrelated to the fish I want to keep. My goal is to have an aquarium with plants, not an aquarium that is dedicated to those plants. I'd like to avoid CO2 and even Excel if I can manage it.

My specific plants are going to be an Amazon Sword as the showpiece with dwarf lillies kind of rounding out the "difficult" species. Throw in the usual java ferns, java moss, and anubias species and you get the idea. I'd also like to add in Brazilian Pennywort as a nitrate sponge. Nothing at all demanding or difficult if I've done my research.

So, I'm now stuck on this question. Should I pop by Home Depot and grab a two bulb shop light, or should I go with the T5HO?

Thanks in advance, guys!

If going with a lower light tank, the two bulb shop light is cheaper and more available and the better option, IMO. Just be sure and get the right temperature bulb. (Frequency) 5000K to 6700K are the most available in shop lights. OS.

Back
Top Bottom