55g Dirt Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I honestly think they are one of the most underrated tetras. I've kept them since I started out with a 10g, years ago. I still find myself mesmerized by them.

They aren't jumpers but they will splash you when coming up for food. They will literally dart, from the bottom, straight up and out of the water for a flake.

They make good dither fish too, which is why I got them for my geo tank. They are big enough not to get eaten by most species (unless you have a monster) but are small enough you can get a nice school of them in a decent sized tank.

Hope you like them when you see them! Mine have doubled in size since I got them off sev and HN1. They are probably close to two and a half inches (full grown) now.

Raised light an inch on Thursday and have noticed great improvement in curbing of algae.

6982287340_1a7b32bfdb_c.jpg

Thank you, it's a lot of fun and has been a great learning experience. It's giving me the confidence to step into more difficult-to-keep plants. In time...in time.

Looking good, like always. Glad you got your algae problem figured out. I agree, the ferts and dosing is the tricky part. CO2 is pretty straight forward though. I suggest if you take on more demanding plants to keep a journal of everything. Sometimes you think dosing a bit less of something doesn't make a difference but when you look back on your logs you can see trends.

I'd say go for it! You got these ones mastered! ;)

Thanks, meegosh. The thing with getting new plants, is...I have no idea where to put them in this tank, as it's relatively stocked to the brim.

Nah... I still see substrate! ;)

Seriously though, I went on a plant buying spree once I got my 30g set up just right. I bought lots of different species and tried them all. Sold or composted any ones I didn't like or didn't grow well in my set up. Eventually I was left with plants that I really liked and grew extremely well in my set up.

At one point I had 3 shipments coming in and had an absolutely packed tank. That is when I sent some blyxa to Jon and Kristen. I had to give up the foreground for more stems that I wanted to try. Eventually I weeded out the stems I didn't like and let the blyxa spread again.

Regardless of what you decide, I think you've got this tank down to a science. Looks really good!

Alright, so you've convinced me to get more plants. However, I am going to take it one plant at a time since my space really is limited. I'd like to add a plant that is taller than the C. wendtii on the right, but does not grow nearly as tall as the water sprite or Rotala. I think if I added a mid-tall growing plant it'd look nice behind there and slope off nicely with the rest of the scape. Have anything narrow-leafed in mind? I'd love it if you could offer any suggestions on unique genera or species that would fit in back there.

Thanks!

Marconis said:
Alright, so you've convinced me to get more plants. However, I am going to take it one plant at a time since my space really is limited. I'd like to add a plant that is taller than the C. wendtii on the right, but does not grow nearly as tall as the water sprite or Rotala. I think if I added a mid-tall growing plant it'd look nice behind there and slope off nicely with the rest of the scape. Have anything narrow-leafed in mind? I'd love it if you could offer any suggestions on unique genera or species that would fit in back there.

Thanks!

Cryptocoryne crispatula "balansae" is one of my favorites. Narrow leaves. It does get tall but not super fast in my tanks.

Huge fan of Crypts! I love that plant, actually. I may consider it. Keep 'em coming.

Here are some rare plants that I think could work nicely... some will be harder to find. You might check with Crepe, he sometimes has a bead on the rarer stuff. Some of these would require some trimming to keep them at the height you desire, but most of the stems I listed are slower growing, so they wouldn't be too hard to keep your desired look.

Cabomba furcata
pogostemon erectus (trimmed to your desired height?)
Pogostemon stellatus
Eriocaulon Goias
Ludwigia inclinata of some kind
Syngonanthus (spelling?)

Thanks for the reply, Fort!

A more immediate issue I am dealing with is water circulation...I strongly feel this AC70 is not sufficient and nutrients are not being adequately distributed around the tank, particularly on the right side (I notice some dead spots where my plants don't even sway a tiny bit). I'm off to the LFS to buy some new fish, and I am going to pick up a powerhead as well. How exactly should I place it so that there is sufficient circulation on the right side of my aquarium, opposite the side of the HOB?

Back
Top Bottom