55gal is a mess

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i have recently gotten my 55gal to where i want it to be lighting wise and almost there plant wise. My only problem is i keep having really aweful algea blooms.I have no idea why. It is my least stocked tank with only one senegal bichir at 6 or so inches long and a 4inch gourami. My other two tanks have never had an algea bloom *knocks on wood*. Anyway is it possible that the introduction of plants into my 55gal could have caused the bloom? I only have a couple of java ferns, hornwort, and anacharis. My nitrates have never peaked over 20ppms. Everything else is at 0. I preform 25% pwc every week, and I am now blacking out my tank for the second time to kill the algea. I would like to add a diy CO2 and CF lighting to my tank in the future, but that seems it will only worsen the problem. Is there any type of filters, or filter medias to fix this? What more can i do to prevent this? Can i upgrade my lighting and add CO2 without promoting the algea problem? Thanks for your responses.

What is your nitrate to phosphate ratio? Should be 10:1. Might also have to add Potassium so the plants can use the nitrites and phosphates. Look in the Stickies, lots of good info there.

I don't have a phospahte testing kit ... I know bad me, but i looked for it at the petstores and they only have the test strip ones, which i don't want to get and have to replace for a better test kit. Do you have any suggestion for tests?

Back
Top Bottom