A couple of questions - lighting/CO2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hershadow

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

I'm new the forum and pretty new to the hobby. I recently set up my first planted tank (29 gallon), which got overrun with algae. I found out too late that the advice I was getting from my lfs was wrong, which caused the algae bloom that I could not recover from. Lots of money was lost thanks to that. I wanted larger fish anyways and was very frustrated, so I started over and have a 65 gallon tank. I have had it running for two months without issues, but with very low light so my plants aren't growing. I would like a low-tech planted tank and feel comfortable with moderate lighting (2wpg) and routine ferts/water changes. I have Eco Complete substrate. I can't trust my lfs for advice, so am feeling pretty lost :(

I read a few of the recommended articles on here regarding fertilizers, CO2 and lighting, but have a few questions.

1. Lighting: I saw that compact fluorescents come highly recommended, and my husband is willing to put together a compact fluorescent fixture for me (ahsupply.com). However, I looked for sites that sold compact fluorescent bulbs that would fit that type of fixture (straight pegs .... ) in the 6700/6500K range and found nothing. Do those types of bulbs exist? and if so, where can I get them? Is there any recommended companies to get these types of fixtures? Would I be better off sticking with t5ho lighting?

2. I can not afford a pressurized co2 tank, but read here that metricide 14 could be a good option. This may be a stupid question, but.... reviews on amazon say that it's only good for 14 days as a disinfectant. Is it still good as a C02 source after 14 days?

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello!!! Sorry they drooped the ball. ..i know how you feel.. it sucks.. anyways. . Get the metricide, dose it daily at .4ml/gal. As for lighting I like leds..alot! Cfls work.. how tall is your tank??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

25" tall. I got a satellite freshwater LED + 36" light that the lfs recommended. Unfortunately, it is not effective for heights greater than 18", so that's more $ wasted. It's on my tank but it's not helping my plants. Is there LEDs you would recommend for the depth of my tank?

I just got a 75 gallon tank and so far only have the substrate in it, I as well got a little "screwed over" by Petsmart. The light they suggested is a 36 inch LED by MarineLand. It's a nice light but NOTHING compared to what I'm going to need. I'm doing my first planted aquarium and I was recommended to try Finnex brand. (Www.finnex.net) by a friend I know who has many fish tanks. You could try one of those and it is much cheaper than MarineLand.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I ran a 30l with 2 sat plus, it produced excellent results. Maybe adding another strong light in front like a finnex ray 2? The sat plus will add to color.pop.

Brookster - how deep is a 30l? I enjoy my satellite for the novelty of being able to make my fish colors pop, but from everything I looked into, the satellite is not useful for plants in tanks over 18" deep because the light can't penetrate through to the bottom. I will look into the other LED you mentioned.

Brookster - how deep is a 30l? I enjoy my satellite for the novelty of being able to make my fish colors pop, but from everything I looked into, the satellite is not useful for plants in tanks over 18" deep because the light can't penetrate through to the bottom. I will look into the other LED you mentioned.

It is 16" deep, you're right though.. not pushing much par past 20".. whats your budget?

Back
Top Bottom