Actinic for moonlighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MSU Fan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 4x55w CF fixture that has a 2-10k and 2-actinic in it at the moment. I know that for the purposes for wpg, you really aren't supposed to use the wattage for the actinic. What about the purpose of moonlighting?

Can actinic be used for moonlighting? Has anyone tried this and can they comment on its effect on algae? I tried using a blue CF bulb for a moonlight, which worked very well, except the light was white and the glass was blue, so I managed to grow a ton of algae. Appreciate the help. Thanks![/code]

When I turn on actinic only, it's VERY blue and bright. IMO, it'd be too much to use as a moonlight. But again, I guess it's all in your interpretation. Those small 1 watt LED lights can go a LONG way in lighting your tank at night.

HTH

I agree, standard CF actinics would be too bright for proper night lighting. It only takes a few watts of blue or white LEDs to give good night illumination without bothering the fish.

travis simonson said:
I agree, standard CF actinics would be too bright for proper night lighting. It only takes a few watts of blue or white LEDs to give good night illumination without bothering the fish.

I agree. Pick up some LED moonlights. I'd go white or blue. Most people use blue. Some use red but I think that looks real unnatural. Who knows what the fish think

Check here http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/product/categoryInfoL3.web?options.passInCategoryKey=22948 or look around the net for something else you might like.

Back
Top Bottom