Algae identify

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dominick

Aquarium Advice Activist
been treating this with sessions of hydrogen peroxide some of it is turning brown/red from the peroxide but most is still green.
Any idea what this is?

img_737593_0_7be161201236676691ab9a2152b5f34c.jpg

Looks like staghorn. Might try the cup over the area trick to try and get all of it in one or two treatments. Jsoong suggested it althoug i haven't tried it yet. Might fit your purposes for treating it much easier.

Are you squirting the HP over the algae, or directing some into the algae? Try using a syringe or something and dose it under the algae, as well as above. If it's hard to remove, it's staghorn. Also, if you have Flourish Excel, you could try that instead, dose it directly under the algae.

No, take a small styrofoam coffee cup and cut a small hole on the bottom in the middle. Place the cup over the area effected and inject the peroxide or preferably the Excel into the cup. Hold the cup over the area for 30 second and then release. This keeps the treatment concentrated over the effected area long enough to hopefully effect all the algae in the area.

Although I imagine it would work for a localized blackout also.

well its not just that pile the whole tank is infected so i guess ill do a
6 day black out all my swordtail plants are covered with i think both staghorn and BBA

Get your CO2 levels up and steady, either before or after the blackout because until it is you will fight it again and again. I fight it now in my Non CO2 tank but only with minimul amounts. I also have BBA in my CO2 tank because I can't get my DIY CO2 to work right even with 4, 1 liter bottles.

Try to get it up to about 45ppm and keep it between 40-50ppm and try to never let it drop below 30ppm. When I managed to do this I didn't have any algae at all.

Ok ill do that before i do a blackout im in the middle of making a DIY inline reactor i have to CO2 in the intake of the Rena XP3 but i cant get the CO2 above 30ppm not only that it burps alot and im guessing thats all waisted CO2 burping out floating up to the surface faster than someone running out of breath during a dive :(

Give this a try. Run the CO2 to an airstone directly under the XP3 intake. It's probably the easiest ways of doing it. Also, if there's enough bubbles coming out, you can set a powerhead next to the XP3 intake, and set the airstone so half the bubbles go to the XP3 and the other half to the powerhead. That's how I have mine currently, and I get great CO2 levels. Yes, I am pressurized, but I'm only running just over 1 bubble per second. Should be able to get that with the DIY. And I'm getting excellent growth, and very minimal algae isues.

Back
Top Bottom