Alternate uses for java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coleallensmom

Planted Tank Enthusiast
..in a low light tank? I was doing some reading online and came across an article about a low light scape in which the author used java moss tied to pieces of coconut shell to create a small grass bed of shorts. Anyone ever try this?

Pic:

2_Riverbank_planted_aquarium_side.jpg

I have seen people try what jeff tried to do for a carpet, but vertically... i.e. a wall of java moss instead of a carpet.

I think I have myself half afraid to try anymore wood in my tank; I have a small piece in now that is fine, but the last large piece was horrible with leaching tannins. The only substantial chunks of wood that my LFS sells is mopani wood which I am sure would leach as well. I was thinking of taking the bridge ornament out (of my 37 gal) and adding a rock feature instead. Liked the idea of having a few small patches of the java moss around the rocks since I don't have enough light to sustain any type of real carpet plant. Thoughts?

I actually like the way the bridge turned out, but understand the desire to go to a more natural look.

I think that it could look really cool to just tie it to some rocks and go that route.

You could also try and get some mail order driftwood and give that a try, if the LFS stuff isn't working out. Or try boiling the crap out of it and letting it soak in a 5 gal bucket for a few months with weekly water changes.

There is just something strangely soothing about the natural scape in my 20 gallon..I keep searching for some way to make the 37 gallon more pleasing to the eye. I can't quite figure out what I want to do, but I feel like it's lacking balance. I keep looking at the plant selection at my LFS but their slection of low light plants is small and nothing has caught my attention. I have a few more interesting pieces of driftwood I could try, but since that first piece I found didn't work out so great, Idk if I should try any of them...which brought up the rock idea. Either way, I might try the java moss idea..I love the way it looks in the picture.

Any more plant suggestions for me, Fort? Right now I just have the rotala, crypt retrospiralis/crispatula, and some swords. Want to find some mid height plants that I can add to the jungle. I have ready access to anything here: Live Aquarium Plants, Aquatic Plants, Aquarium Plants at ThatFishPlace.com

Did more searching today and found some more tips on using the java moss as a carpet. Someone suggested buying a basic hairnet pack..put a thin layer of java moss over a rock and cover the moss-covered rock with the hair net. twist/tie and place in your tank. I think I am going to give this a try..seems like a great way to keep the moss attached to the rock and not free floating.

Another really cool plant to look at is anubias nana petite. It only grows to be about 3" tall or so. It is a slow grower, but a nice little foreground plant that isn't demanding at all. If you are looking for some other stem plants to maybe compliment the rotala, Moneywort is a nice looking plant... it would do well in your tank. It takes a little while to get established but once it does, it grows at a decent rate. Not as fast as the rotala, but it is easy to propagate.

Do you think I have enough light for the Sagittaria? I do have one small Chain sword in the tank and my light sustains it, but it hasn't grown a whole lot yet. (The same plant in my 20 gallon sends out new shoots almost every other day or so.) Will check out the Moneywort next time I make a trip in.

Ok, might pick some of that and the monewort up ths week. I emailed them about the anubia nana and they said they are out of stock and haven't had it in for a while. :cry:

Well, I went to my dollar store last night and picked up some hairnets. A 2 pack cost $1, so pretty inexpensive. Wrapped up my java moss and rocks and I think it turned out pretty well. I did three of them!

img_1215962_0_29042a1dca71c48a5a764b9fc5d0f376.jpg

that seems like a pretty good idea :) (sorry for jumping in your thread. I was looking for kool ideas for java moss)

Your tank is very pretty btw

Thank you!

The rocks were pretty easy to do..I already had the java moss and rocks, so all it cost me was $2 for two packs of the hairnets! The hairnets are black, so you can't even really tell they are there. :)

Thank you! I can't wait to see what they look like in a few weeks...Also glad to have no more free roaming java moss in my tank! lol ;)

than it was a very easy fix. I may have to try it on mine when I have a go at planting my small 2.5 gallons :)

Back
Top Bottom