Amazon Sword Not Doing Well

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FSEMTB2

Aquarium Advice Activist
My amazons leaves have been yellowing for some time now..I was pruning the dead ones off when I noticed that they were rotting from the base of the stem. Any body can help on this????

The soil is Eco-Complete and I have root tabs and dose EI, with pressure CO2..

Thanks

Attachments

• dscn1806_582.jpg
    dscn1806_582.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 54
i don't know... because mine is doing the same thing! i've inserted new root tabs, upped ferts and traces, fiddled with co2 - i have no idea what's wrong with it. so please, help us! :D

Pull the plant out and check the roots. From what you are describing, it sounds like they will look a bit brown rather than the normal opaque white. If this is the case, trim off the brownish portions and replant.

root tabs

I am using the Seacherm root tabs and just following the instructions on the package.(3-4 months) Why would the roots need to be trimmed?

Trimming roots of heavily rooted plants usually jump starts any stagnation in growth, it stimulates the plants "survival" mechanism. We are speaking only of the tips of course, not hacking off significant portions.

Trimming of the roots will promote new root growth. Your plant could be to the point that there's so much old root in certain places that new ones have no where to grow in. It's not the old, thick roots that do most of the work of bringing nutrients into the plant, it's the new ones, so if your plant can't grow new ones... problems.

Pull it carefully, they tend to develop extensive root systems.

Other possibilities include Fe OD or a deficiency of some other nutrient, too little light, too much light etc. etc.

If the Eco complete isn't yet 2 years old and the roots are "OK", I'd back off on the root tabs... An alternative to tabs is to use a syringe, turkey baister or transfer pipet to inject a little of your liquid fert mix into the substrate near the sword. It's also cheaper than root tabs. Personally, I suspect that the plant may be getting a little too much fert loving.

It looks like the leaves are going yellow but the veins are staying green. This is a classic example of a plant displaying a Iron/Trace deficiency. I'd look at upping your Micro dosing.

Okay..I pulled the plant up and the roots look fine..They are bright white and not to long. Some of the posts on this reads I am dosing to much ferts and others to little. I guess I have to play around with it a little. What are some signs of over dosing iron?(so I will know when I increase it)

Algae. Everyone here is going to tell you different, they did for me, but I didn't get rid of my algae problem until I cut back on CSM+B dosing.

Edit: Actually, I never really got rid of it, but I did get it to a manageable amount.

Back
Top Bottom