Another 36g Journa.....No HELP log!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guitarchitect7

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all - new member, first time poster here! :dance:

So I've been on these boards reading many threads for over a month now, and thought I wanted to get registered up to join the community. I always thought my first post would be more of a journal log of setting up my aquarium, etc that I started a few months back - but this past week has redirected my attention. So I'll give a run down..,.

First a little about me. This is my second time of establishing a tank. The first time went well, but I introduced new fish and it killed the majority of what I had. I decided I would start anew. I didn't have a quarantine tank at the time. I feel like I know a little bit about keeping an aquarium, but also recognize there is still much to learn. So here's my equipment:

I've got a 36 bow front.
I've got Eco-Complete and gravel substrate mixed together.
I have a few rocks and dogwood
I did a fishless cycle that lasted about 5 weeks using pure ammonia as a booster to get it going.
I got 1:1 ration for WPG. and the lights stay on from 2pm - 10pm everyday.
Plants I added: Crypt Spiralis, Anabis Nana, and Crypt Red Wendtii
Levels are:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - 10
Phospate - .25
KH - 5
GH - 12 (I have very hard water)
ph - 8.0
I was adding a half a cup of Flourish Excel everyday and then Florish Comp twice a week - trying to help the plants acclimate and grow.
50% water change every week on Sundays.

I bought 8 Harlequin Rasboras and kept in the quarantine tank for a week. No funny behaviors, etc so I went ahead and added them to the main tank. I replaced those with 6 Black Ruby Barbs in the quarantine tank.

Ok, did I miss anything...

So heres the timeline. The Spiralis has been wilting like crazy. I know they tend to do that after moving so I wasn't worried, but it's been a few weeks and they're still wilting. All other plants look like they're doing really well. New leaves are getting greener, old leaves are still looking good too - some trimming, but nothing major. So that's my first issue...the wilting?

Along with the wilting, the RED ALAGE has sprouted up. It's on my heater and a few of my rocks. I think this was because of too many nutrients and that's why I've cut feeding down a bit and don't add as much Flourish Comp.

Lastly, two of my Rasboras have died this week! One on Wednesday - which I thought might be due to too much from the Flourish products, so I did a 50% water change and have cut back on only adding Excel every other day and haven't even bothered with adding Flourish Comp yet. Surprising, another perished today. I see no apparent white spots, or anything else that would cause such a thing. Normally I would blame it on new fish, etc - but it's been at least 2 1/2 weeks and they're just now dying. Maybe why quarantine should last at least 2-4 weeks.

Anyway, so instead of my journal, I'm reaching out to hopefully ensure that I'm doing all I can at this time???????

I maybe even get around to posting some current photos of the setup.

:thanks:

Welcome to AA!

Do you mean half a CAP of Excel? Half a cup is way too much. Actually, I don't think you really need any ferts at the moment. A little Flourish once a week won't hurt, but your low lighting levels and small plant population really don't require extra ferts.

Pretty much what I thought, and yes I did mean a half a cap full. This is why I've not added any ferts since doing the water change, and sparingly added the excel as well. I see no reason tank wise that would cause harm to the fish or the plants at this moment. I got plenty of light for low light and enough nutrients for the plants.

I'm hoping my spiralis can't catch hold and grow strong and hopefully no more fish die!

I'm still open to ideas from anyone...

Sunday I did another 15% water change on the main tank. I needed to do some trimming on the spiralis plus wanted to keep some fresh water moving in there until everything seems fairly stable.

So far no more deaths of the rasboras and no apparent funny activity from them, yet. Spiralis is still struggling some while the other plants seem to be doing really well.

So far no more deaths

I guess I keep writing to at least make record of my progress...

Last night I did some hard looking at my tank. The red algae has not gotten worse, but I've got some algae growing on the plants' leaves. I'm hoping to get some Oto's here soon to help this situation. Overall though, the plants are doing pretty well. A few spiralis leaves have withered some, but nothing new has developed, those that remain intact are still looking good. Just being a slow grow tank, it's going to take time to grow the other stems back.

Fish wise, I did notice that one Rasbora has pop eye. I need to do more research, but I can't imagine this wold result in the deaths of the others - essentially pop eye being contagious. But noticing this, I was left with a decision. In my QT I had 6 Black Ruby barbs finishing out there 2 week quarantine. I was skeptical of putting them in the main tank due to not knowing what is causing the other fish to do, but I also needed to quarantine the pop eye fish. I ended up moving the black rubys into the main tank so I could put the pop eye into the QT. Im off today to pick up maracyn to treat the pop eye and debating of if I should just put some in the MT too, or maybe simply putting aquarium salt in the MT would be better?

I retested all the water parameters again and nothing unusual. All the fish in teh MT seem to be doing really well, no funny behavior, etc. The pop eye fish is acting naturally, so I'm still wondering what may have caused the other fish to die.

Here's to hoping no more die and I got this situation resolved.

All fish seem to be doing really well now. None have died or look stressed at all. I think I had too much Carbon with not enough light, everything was suffering. But now, it all appears balanced, and the pop eye fish is already doing better after one day.

Here are some photos with my tank process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom