Anubias but what kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mitche8359

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an anubias and would like to get a few more of the same variety, but I'm having trouble figuring out what type it is. Sorry no picture. It looks a lot like the ''coffeefolia'' but it may be Nana. The Anubias is short maybe 4" in height and it does flower. The sketch of ''coffeefolia'' looks closer to what I have, especially with the pointier and ribbed leaves. The pictures I have seen don't look like what I have growing, but the pictures of Nana don't either.

How common is the Anubias barteri ''coffeefolia''?? I'm pretty sure that I bought this plant in an assortment of plants. If not either of these varieties, can someone suggest another that it might be?

Ok that picture helped to some degree. I've yet to see a picture of coffeefolia in bloom which would be the determining factor most likely.

Nana and coffefololia are both varities of Anubias barteri. Nana can vary somewhat is shape and size. Coffefolia typically is darker green with more pronounced ridges.

Nana often flowers in the aquarium, I have never seen coffefolia do so. barteri and Nana has a white flower:

987102104_8D1A642AFF0362E71D994BC064902610.jpg

Here is nana

47b3d733b3127cce8e02363050b60000001610

Coffefolia flower probably looks the same.

Here is coffefolia:

acoffefolia.jpg

As far as what will work? They all will. They all have the same growing requirements. Low to moderate light. You have barteri, nana, coffefolia, congensis... Then thru some very exclusive importers you have hybrids of nana and barteri such as nana marble which has leaves with a swirl of green and white, nana stardust, which has a white stripe down the middle of the leaf, nana petite which is a miniature nana with very tiny leaves, nana narrow leaf, which has short, but slender leaves.

Best regards

Robert
www.aquabotanic.com
far from ordinary

Nice pictures. Since the anubias in my tank has flowered, I very likely have Nana. The anubia is very dark green though. I might be doing a tear down in the near future due to new carpet. If so I'm going to take the opportunity to take a few pictures of the plants out of water for clearity. I'd really like to know what is in the tank.

It is a very cool looking plant Mr. Burns! I havn't had anyone yet tell me they don't like it. The varigated leaves can vary on the same plant. Some have a lot of white, some a little, some have all green leaves with varigated ones on the same plant.

Here is the nana "stardust"

ananasunsetsm.JPG

I was having trouble with my flash, so the picture is dark, but I think you can see the white stripe down the middle. It is not a sharp even stripe, if you look close at it, it actually looks like sprinkled powder sugar. Very unique looking.

Best regards

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com
far from ordinary

that petite nana would look great in my ten gallon...a bit too pricey for this rarity though. it would be nice if it grew faster than the other...

i still can get over how great the marbled stuff looks :)

fulltankshotabliss.jpg

This is a ten gallon aquarium with petite nana in it. A pretty amazing aquascape for such a small tank.

Petite nana can grow fairly quickly under the right conditions. Plantedtank.net is one of the best forums out there dedicated solely to aquarium plants, (other than my own of course! :wink: ) and you will find people there like "Gomer" who have had great success with it.

Back
Top Bottom