Anubias wall??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Burns

Aquarium Advice FINatic
has anybody tried to make an anubias wall? i was reading an article (below) about low-light planting and they mentioned it. i really like the look...it'd be a good contrast to the slate and christmas moss wall on the opposite side of the tank. again, i'm just planning these things out...sorting it out in my mind... [ wgp ~2 ]

how should i attach the anubias to the cork bark and where do i get cork bark? do i just figure out some way to thread the fish line through the bark? how should i arrange the anubias on the bark? how much anubias would i need to start a 16"x16" area?

article: http://www.aquabotanic.com/foregroundaquascape.htm

TIA!

You can get cork bark from www.blackjungle.com You could build one but it would take a number of plants and they do grow slowly, though I wish I could convince the one in my 55 gallon tank of that. And it if gets algae on it you will have a mess on your hands. I would use black wire ties to attach them. But you will have the roots growing down toward the substrate. I once had an Anubias on a tall piece of wood and the number and size of the roots after six months was amazing.

What type of Anubias you want to use?

anubias barteri is the most visually appealing to me. i don't care a whole lot for the leaf shape/structure of the other anubias sp or crypts...

should the first batch be secured toward the top of bark so that it will spread downward?

as far as algae goes, i'm not too worried about it. i'll have a batch of otos doing the dirty work on the live plants.

as far as corkbark goes, i like this... http://peaceofthetropics.com/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=71

I don't think it matters where you start, the leaves will grow up, the rhizome will grow whatever direction it wants and the roots will grow down. Ottos won't touch the BBA and green spot algae that will cause you the most grief.

BBA? is that a type of algae?

[edit] nevermind..i took 10 seconds to look it up. i thought the otos were supposed to take care of algae, but i guess it's only a certain kind? what about my huge pleco, is he/she going to be of any use against those other types of algae? i'll only have around 1.8-2 wpg, so i didn't think algae would become much of a problem.

Nope. BBA and green spot are pretty much fish proof. There are some fish that are reputed to eat BBA when it is young but I have never witnessed any such behavior. And the GS algae is manual removal only.

besides the regular water changes to get rid of any extra nutrients, is there any other preventative measures i should consider?

Can i make a anubias wall, if i attach the anubias on a mesh instead of corkbark? I'm thinking of putting anubaias nana or the anubias nana petite <----these plants are expensive as hell, 1 small plant for $8!

Back
Top Bottom