Any experience with Turface?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sortof.

Turface is a good, inert substrate that can be used, but because it's inert, usually fertilizing the water column is necessary. I use soilmaster in my 125g planted tank (soilmaster is the previous version of turface) and have had great success with it.

I use Turface MVP in several of my aquariums and really like it. It looks like a Dark Charcoal Grey version of Flourite. As Neilan mentioned it doesn't come with nutrients right out of the bag, however it has a very high CEC value so in time it will soak up nutrients and slowly release them to the plants. I'd recommend that when you first start using it, you add some plant tabs to jump start it.

What if I filled the tank with like 10% water with the turface and pumped ferts?

you could just add ferts to the water for your plants. any root feeders just use tabs. i use sms which is close to turface. just wash it really well. another thing is planting. people dont like it since its light in weight i plant so many plants use it it comes easy for me. dig a hole put the plant in there cover the hole push down to compact it some to hold it. i some times put gravel in the middle of the plant to help hold it down too.

Does anyone know if the Turface is alright for Loaches and other burrowing fish? Also, I assume because this stuff doesn't compact as much as sand, it would take less to fill up a tank?

yea its fine. 1 50 pound bag was more then i needed for my 60 gallon tank.

AAARRRGGH (charlie brown noise). I tracked down a store in Pittsburgh that sells turface. I called them twice to verify they had it first because its an inconvenient drive for me. I left home with the confident grin of someone who is acting on a well researched decision.
I haul my 50 pound bag back to find out that the turface is actually a reddish tan color and not black. Apparantly they don't stock the charcoal color turface mvp anymore and the sellers are not aware of it (they all assured me it was black). I'm just going to bit the bullet and use it anyway. I looked into this matter for too long to back out now. Reddish brown should bring out the green plants and fish colors ok as well I suppose. Did anyone else run into this problem?

Back
Top Bottom