Aquaclear filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I modified the Aqueon. Removed all the blue plastic crap that it came with. Filled it with all sorts of ceramic bio cylinders sponge and filter floss. It's the one made for a 30 on my ten planted so I think I'm set.

image-1157926146.jpg

So Brookster... How is the C4 doing? Any clogs, excessive noise or loss of flow?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's fine, just cleaned it last night, little more involved than the ac but it's all good. I like it.. little noise but nothing worth complaining about.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's fine, just cleaned it last night, little more involved than the ac but it's all good. I like it.. little noise but nothing worth complaining about.

So I guess the big question is... Do you feel that it does anything above and beyond what an AC 70 can accomplish?

So I guess the big question is... Do you feel that it does anything above and beyond what an AC 70 can accomplish?

I'm not sure it's better or worse, def. More options for media, like the purigen basket is a nice touch. Like my parents say in refernece to my bro and i.. "I like them both the same"

I'm not sure it's better or worse, def. More options for media, like the purigen basket is a nice touch. Like my parents say in refernece to my bro and i.. "I like them both the same"

Cool. I'd like to upgrade from my AC50 but none of my LFS sell the C4. They do sell the AC line though. When it comes to filters, I like to buy from a brick and mortar store so I can return it quicker/easier if defective.

Like my parents say in refernece to my bro and i.. "I like them both the same"
I guess it would suck if they didn't say that :)

Cool. I'd like to upgrade from my AC50 but none of my LFS sell the C4. They do sell the AC line though. When it comes to filters, I like to buy from a brick and mortar store so I can return it quicker/easier if defective.
After using AC x0 filters for years I recently picked up a C3 for a tank I had mostly just to try it out. Honestly, I am on the fence. It is mostly the same filter with separate sections for different media. As opposed to the AC line where there is a large area to put whatever you want in. The advantage is mostly in ease of maintenance, IMO. The tradeoff is the section for bio-media is pretty small. I suppose you could compensate for that by using the section for chemical filtration for bio-media.

My honest opinion is that there are pros and cons to both designs but I am not sure the Cx line is worth the extra expense.

Instead of me typing a whole bunch, I'll just quote another AA member's thoughts on the C-Series, mostly because I'm lazy and a concur based on my own observations in owning both AC's and C-Series. C-Series trumps the AC to the point I don't think the AC would be around anymore other than a cheaper option while keeping the dollars in Hagen's pocket. Because quite honestly, the c-Series outclases the AC in almost all aspects. Just my 2 cents.

I own one AquaClear 50, two Fluval C3's and one FluvalC4. The Fluval C series is the latest technology makes the "1978" technology of the AquaClear practically an obsolete relic. Both are made by Hagen and even use the same motor up through sizes AC70 and Fluval C4.

The AquaClears are only three stage filtration with no polishing pad or trickle chamber. AquaClear suffers from severe bypass issues (just google it) or go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-bypass-issues-292796.html

The only way the AC works half decent is to use tightly packed floss because the "sponge" is so coarse is lets the fine particles right on through.

I find it easier to use custom media in my Fluval C's than aquaclears because the media basket is a mess.

Here is a link to my HOB filtration section on photobucket which shows both including the use of custom media. Click on each picture for a full explanation of what you are looking at.

HOB Filtration Photos by Paul1792 | Photobucket

Also, see posts 4, 5 & 21 here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f60/aquaclear-vs-fluval-315148.html

I guess it would suck if they didn't say that :)

After using AC x0 filters for years I recently picked up a C3 for a tank I had mostly just to try it out. Honestly, I am on the fence. It is mostly the same filter with separate sections for different media. As opposed to the AC line where there is a large area to put whatever you want in. The advantage is mostly in ease of maintenance, IMO. The tradeoff is the section for bio-media is pretty small. I suppose you could compensate for that by using the section for chemical filtration for bio-media.

My honest opinion is that there are pros and cons to both designs but I am not sure the Cx line is worth the extra expense.

My biggest thing will be loss of flow and bypass over time, I'm not a o concerned with bio, it's running along side an AC50 loaded with biomax, I'm more interested in water polishing and added flow.

My biggest thing will be loss of flow and bypass over time, I'm not a o concerned with bio, it's running along side an AC50 loaded with biomax, I'm more interested in water polishing and added flow.
I would think that the Cx would be better at water polishing due due to the integration of a fine pad but I have not done head-to-dead testing or anything. Have you seen less particulate since you picked it up?

The water is absolutely pristine, to bad it doesn't help with algae haha

The water is absolutely pristine, to bad it doesn't help with algae haha

What do you mean? That crystal clear water makes it EASIER to see the algae.
I'll see myself out.

What do you mean? That crystal clear water makes it EASIER to see the algae.
I'll see myself out.

Precisely sir.

The little red pop-up indicator takes about 2 weeks to say "hey it's time to clean me!"

So yeah, it gets clogged up fairly fast but that's a good thing since the sponge + polishing pad are grabbing the particulates. After a PWC and a ringing out of the pads, it's good to go. I just find it effective and efficient for what it is.

Back
Top Bottom