Aquarium planting help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkullAngel

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have a 10g tank wid 2 guppies and male betta and ghost shrimps, I need help on finding aquarium plants that need moderate to high lighting....thank you

What kind of light is it? The length of the photoperiod has nothing to do with intensity... only algae (if they're on more than 8-10 hours)

Then, you need to look at low light plants... and consider replacing that with a cfl.

There's actually a list of plants in our FW profiles forum that lists lighting requirements, along with a ton of other info. That would be a good place to start.

I tried a low light plant, tropical java fern, and it got burned or whatever the technical term is...

SkullAngel said:
A regular ordinary light bulb that you usearoundthe house

Well that doesn't tell us much. Is it an incandescent or a compact florescent (cfl)?
If you have an incandescent you will need to replace it with a cfl to grow plants. Get one rated 6500K or labeled 'daylight'.

I have java fern in my T5 tank, and it does wonderfully.

Did you bury the java fern?

I can say with a high degree of certainty that a 10W CFL over a 10gal tank did not "burn" a java fern. That would be considered low light at best, and depending on the color temp, might not be suitable to growing any plants. If you put in high light plants, they will not survive under that light.

I bought it long after i Set up my tank and now it's all brown

Leave it in. It will jump back. If you want you can cut the brown leaves off. Just make sure rhisome is tied to a rock or wood and not burried. Thats all you need to do.

Its very difficult to kill a fern.

Here what it looks like now

Attachments

• image-2673652096.jpg
    image-2673652096.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 43
Cut of the brown leaves and tie it to something. You got a nice piece of the rhisome still. It might take a few weeks but when it starts to regrow again you'll have lots of new leaves.

Back
Top Bottom