Aquascaping Disaster: Sugggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dskidmore

Aquarium Advice Addict
I let the tank speak for itself:

75Gal20080604.jpg

Although I should say that in any proposed solution, I do want to leave some foreground clear for my filtration project. (Shrimp like to hang out on filters, so I was thinking of submerging some sponges in the sand there.)

A little trim work, maybe a little re-organizing of the plants. A good, nice sized(not too big though) piece of driftwood and/or some good sized rocks.

Definitely needs some vertical hardscaping to it. Driftwood and/or rocks sounds good to me too. Either centered or in one corner, creating a sloping effect.

The vals ( I think that's what they are, the tall plants in the midground) should be either moved to the back of the tank or rid of. With them in the middle, they're blocking the back of the tank, and not giving you any perception of depth.

Consider a few new plants for your midground. Some smaller crypts, blyxa japonica, anubias nana, something along those lines.

The vals ( I think that's what they are, the tall plants in the midground) should be either moved to the back of the tank or rid of. With them in the middle, they're blocking the back of the tank, and not giving you any perception of depth.

Consider a few new plants for your midground. Some smaller crypts, blyxa japonica, anubias nana, something along those lines.
Correct, Jungle and Crystal Vals. They started out being planted across the back, but I kind of let them take over an empty space. I do have crypts, but they only seem to grow well in shady spots. Any mid-light midground plants to recomend?

Hmm, never had issues with crypts growing in high light. Interesting.

Anubias nana is a great plant in my opinion. Blyxa japonica is another I really like as well for a midground. I also like to grow Macranda and keep it trimmed short for a midground, if you have enough lighting to get it to color up that deep in the tank. Dwarf sag is another I like, but just like the vals if you don't control it it can take over a tank.

Possibly I guess. I've never found crypts to be very picky though. They do tend to melt and regrow when conditions change, i.e. move from one tank to another or something.

I agree that more driftwood will help quite a bit. Getting some height and shape will give you something to plant around and will help hold some structure to the aquascaping as the plants fill in.

Next I'd pull all the plant and replant them grouped so that each plant is in a few patches instead of staggered throughout. Next adding (or revealing if they're hiding in the other plants) some plants that don't grow as tall and will help fill in some middle levels. The broad leaves of Anubias would help with this while also providing some great contrast to the existing plants.

And of course, don't let the vals roam where ever they want this time!

Last edited:
Any suggestions regarding the big ball of moss, just right of center? It's netted to a broken slate tile. I have plenty more slate tile and net if it would be useful. The moss never adhered to the tile, but is well tangled in the net. The tile just weighs down the net.

I'd probalby see if you can find something else that it can actually attach to. I think that you'll find that it looks much neater and is easier to trim when it actually attaches. Or even better try a different type of moss that looks nicer in general.

More driftwood would definitely help. :)

I would also add in more plants of different leaf shapes and maybe different colors.

I know this is the 75g. How much light do you have over it? Sorry if I missed this....I looked in your journal thread, but just basically browsed and couldn't find it.

I know this is the 75g. How much light do you have over it? Sorry if I missed this....I looked in your journal thread, but just basically browsed and couldn't find it.
That's becasue I upgraded the lights before the big crash that started the new journal. (Extra heat from the new lights contributed to the crash.) I think I'm running 2.1 WPG.

Started some work today:
75Gal20080607.jpg

Cleared out excessive vals, started to gather the Potamogeton gayi(?) into a single cluster. This leaves an opening in the center and in the back left corner.

I will likely add my tacky bubble wall soon. It adds more current to my low-tech tank, and helps with the heat waves. But don't worry, it's just for a few months...

Some Crypts would look nice in the midground there where you've made some room. :D Cryptocoryne wendtii 'red' would add some different colors to the tank. I like Cryptocoryne walkeri 'lutea' (i think thats the whole name :D ) too. It has mostly green leaves, but they get a tad red too.

Bacopa caroliniana would be a good stem plant with varying leaf shape to add. The tips will get pinkish when they get near the light.

Having a better defined foreground would look good too....maybe some Echinodorus tenellus (pygmy chain sword)?

Some Crypts would look nice in the midground there where you've made some room.
See the fuzzy green off on the left, the very same crypt species you mentioned. They used to grow larger, but are very small now. Perhaps I need to address growing conditions before aquascaping?

Arg! I can't keep up with the plants that spread by runner. Anyone have sucess using pots as part of the aquascape? I'm thinking of making a hyperturfa trough along the back for the vals, and smaller pots for some of the other runner plants.

Back
Top Bottom