Aquatic Plant Seeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arnoldndana

Aquarium Advice Freak
IMG_20171103_093902.jpg

Can someone tell me what kind of seeds these are. I bought them online and they came mixed and without identification.

IMG_20171103_094854.jpg

This is the picture of the product. I bought it for the one in the middle and the one above it.

Generally the seeds are a con and you will get plants that arnt aquatic and eventually die, they sell a lot of these out of China. Waste of time in my opinion [emoji106]

I ordered a similar pack and had one hell of a time getting them to sprout and grow. Lost a LOT after sprouting.

The "carpet" plant seeds I got ended up being Hygrophila polysperma (and subtypes), which are decidedly NOT carpet plants.

My suggestion is to not fully submerse these seeds once they sprout. I put mine in terra cotta pot drip trays/saucers with a shrimp/plant pearl substrate. Kept it wet, with the saucer also in the tank water on a shelf so it stayed warm and was under BRIGHT light. Everything sprouted eventually (4 days to 21 days), but I lost all of it when I submersed it for further growth.

You're way better off having your LFS order the specific plants you're looking for. Way faster return on your investment, with more certain results about what you're getting.

That small-leafed dark dark red plant is Ludwigia "Rubin." Not hard to grow at all. The brighter the light, the darker it gets. Under dim light, it'll go green to orange-green.

All that being said, growing from seeds is fun. And you get some extra points with your local club as a grower when you do it that way. :)

-DTWGulo

aquatic plant Seeds seem like a scam - Just saying

Seeds are a scam if you're hoping to get what they show in the photos.

Seeds are not a scam if you're looking for a *LOT* of plants for low prices. You just have to be willing to accept a total gamble on what you're receiving.

I don't advise these for the novice, or anyone looking for a specific plant. This is a crapshoot at best!

I ordered a similar pack and had one hell of a time getting them to sprout and grow. Lost a LOT after sprouting.

The "carpet" plant seeds I got ended up being Hygrophila polysperma (and subtypes), which are decidedly NOT carpet plants.

My suggestion is to not fully submerse these seeds once they sprout. I put mine in terra cotta pot drip trays/saucers with a shrimp/plant pearl substrate. Kept it wet, with the saucer also in the tank water on a shelf so it stayed warm and was under BRIGHT light. Everything sprouted eventually (4 days to 21 days), but I lost all of it when I submersed it for further growth.

You're way better off having your LFS order the specific plants you're looking for. Way faster return on your investment, with more certain results about what you're getting.

That small-leafed dark dark red plant is Ludwigia "Rubin." Not hard to grow at all. The brighter the light, the darker it gets. Under dim light, it'll go green to orange-green.

All that being said, growing from seeds is fun. And you get some extra points with your local club as a grower when you do it that way. :)

-DTWGulo
Thank you. My LFS carries that plant. I'm still trying to get the seeds to sprout but the carpet seeds are shooting very well and already have some planted in my tank.IMG_20171119_142410.jpgIMG_20171121_131831.jpg

Might be worth trying to keep the carpet plant sprouts trimmed. I’m not sure how they’ll grow if you do that, but when I did NOT trim them, they just grew to the top of the tank like any other stem plant. :p

Keep us posted on how they look!

Back
Top Bottom