Banana dying?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tyspot1000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a Banana plant in my 10 gallon currently with a Marineland LED double bright lighting system. Recently, Only one of the leaves started getting transparent on the rims of it. Also, some of the bananas are getting transparent and are coming off. What could cause this? Ive been dosing with flourish excel twice a week. Any help?

Thanks

what else are you dosing ty? It sounds like it could be nutrient deficiency... specifically and potentially potassium... but it could also be 1 or more of the traces. Also, what is your nitrate testing at?

Can you post a pic of the plant too? That could help narrow down the problem.

Thats the only thing Im dosing with. My tank just finished cycling and the Nitrate is at 5ppm, no more, no less.

I still havent got the camera charged, so maybe in the morning I can take one with my phone and post it on here.

ok. I think you should pick up some root tabs, and a K-trace mix like flora pride or leafzone...

I think your fixture is such that you are not going to get away with not dosing. If you start with some root tabs and a K/trace mix, it would be a good start... these are pretty easy and safe to dose, and won't cause a lot of issues if they are over dosed accidently.

Also... keep an eye on the nitrates in the next 2 weeks. If they don't go above 5... you probably will have to dose some liquid N (like seachem N) or KNO3 as well.

I only planted the roots( as advised a year ago from another forum) , Not the bananas.

Sounds like a number of deficiencies. Not just K. It could also be Mg or even phosphate. A picture would be definitive.

Will get the pic tomorrow. All the other plants are doing great, its just that banana plant thats has the clear rim on its leaf.

Sounds like a number of deficiencies. Not just K. It could also be Mg or even phosphate. A picture would be definitive.

I agree, but I would start with a K/trace or a separate K & trace. Easy to dose, and could solve the problem. Would not want to get into dosing P unless I had too... just my opinion.

You COULD consider picking up a phosphate test kit to get the no kidding scoop on if it is an issue (although they can be pretty expensive... $20-30 for a good low range PO4 test kit). It certainly isn't a requirement though.

Ok, so I possibly need to get this weekend is: API leafzone (Contains chelated iron and potassium) And Tetra Florapride (Also contains potassium and iron). This will give that combine potassium and iron/trace elements, and K/trace mix, am I correct? Should I dose them seperate days? How about some dry ferts?

I'd go to the grocery store and grab a can of "NoSalt" or salt substitute (KCl) and some Seachem Comprehensive. It's cheaper and you will NEVER run out of no salt.haha...

Ty, 1 or the other, not both florapride and leafzone. They provide the same basics.

If you decide to go with dry ferts, you don't need to buy the liquid ferts.

Http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com

If you go dry, I would just pick up the 4 basics:
Kno3
Kh2po4
K2so4
Plantex CSM+B

You may not need all of it, especially starting out, but it is comparatively cheap to liquid ferts. You could buy enough to last a few years in your tank for ~$30. If you go this route I would start by dosing k2so4 and plantex CSM+B.

Crepe said:
I'd go to the grocery store and grab a can of "NoSalt" or salt substitute (KCl) and some Seachem Comprehensive. It's cheaper and you will NEVER run out of no salt.haha...

This is also a good option.

So could I do Crepes Idea, would that work? Could I still use Florish excel?

However... I have not tried the no salt KCl. But the chemistry is right, assuming the K breaks down and becomes useable.

Crepe, no issues with free chloride ions in the tank?

However... I have not tried the no salt KCl. But the chemistry is right, assuming the K breaks down and becomes useable.

Crepe, no issues with free chloride ions in the tank?

None at all. I've overdosed KCL so it gave me nearly 100ppm K+ once. I didn't notice for a whole month when I realized my scale was off calibration. No problems occurred. I think dechlorinators handle a lot of the excess Cl- and plants need it in small amounts anyways.

Back
Top Bottom