Banana Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can someone tell me the best planting and conditioning for these plants? I've had no luck in the past and I'm too stubborn to not keep trying.

I bought three of these once. Two died and one went nuts. They were all in the same tank. I never figured out why one was happy and rest were not. I moved the happily growing one and it promptly died. I am curious to see what people who are successful with them have done as well.

I planted 2 and they both died. Mind you they were in the discus tank so perhaps they were too warm.

You don't 'plant' Banana Plants (Nymphoides aquatica); the banana-shaped tubers must be left above the gravel. The tubers store nutrients for the plant. It'll put out normal roots that will bury and secure the plant to the substrate.
N. aquatica is a tropical water lily from the Southern US, and its temp range is up to 86 (68 to 86) degrees, so unless your discus tank is above that, it wasn't the heat that killed it.
The plant does have limited lifespan in the aquarium (at least a year) but if the leaves are allowed to grow toward the surface, it'll sprout youngsters from its base, so one can keep banana plants almost indefinitely.
Bright light makes it healthier and gives the leaves more character, with russets and greens, and are larger, at six inches or so.

Dave

Thanks for the help, I did plant only a portion of the "banana" part but I must have planted too much. When it sprouts youngster, will that be another collection of banana tubers?

Thanks for the help, I did plant only a portion of the "banana" part but I must have planted too much. When it sprouts youngster, will that be another collection of banana tubers?

Zag,
Of course. A short runner comes from the base of the leaves, and the base of the plant divides, making two of itself, then four, eight, etc. Also, if the light is sufficient, and the leaves are allowed to grow toward the surface, large leaves can be cut off at the base and allowed to float. In a week or 10 days it'll sprout roots, pull itself down into the gravel (you can plant them if they land in an unsuitable direction), and start developing the tubers that make the plant so popular.
You don't plant banana plants at all; just drop them in the gravel where you want them to be, and it'll put out roots to secure itself. NO part of the tubers can be under the gravel.

Dave

So pruning the banana plant is a bad thing?

Yes, it is. Banana plants are water lilies, and though hardy, any damage to the tubers will kill it. Its the same for the bulbs in the traditional water lilies; damage will kill them.
Other than in very bright light, when the leaves are near or at the surface, large ones can be cut off as I described above to procreate them. Use VERY sharp scissors.

Dave

There is some really great info about Banana plants in here. I knew nothign about them. I've always observed them with the "bananas" above the substrate and just sitting up on top. I personally never found them too enticing so never owned one, but maybe I'll try it in the future.

In conclustion:

It's Bananas: B - A - N - A - N - A - S !

Back
Top Bottom