Best T8 bulb for planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sf1

Aquarium Advice Freak
I use Aqua Glo T8.
The specs are:
T8 Bulb
20 W
555 Lumen
18,000 K

There is any better of T8 bulbs?

I found Sun-Glo:
T8 Bulb
20 W
1,300 Lumen
4,200 K
9,000 Hour

Flora-GLO (Best for a planted tank?):
T8 Bulb
20 W
650 Lumen
2,800 K

Power-Glo:
T8 Bulb
20 W
750 Lumen
18,000 K

Life-Glo:
T8 Bulb
20 W
1,470 Lumen
6,700 K
9,000 Hour

There is any good reason to switch from a Aqua-Glo to something else?

Thanks

The closer to 6500k you get the better so the life glo would probably be your best bet. That being said, t8 isn't very powerful and will only give you a low light level in the tank.

The closer to 6500k you get the better so the life glo would probably be your best bet. That being said, t8 isn't very powerful and will only give you a low light level in the tank.

Depending on the plants he/she wants a single T8 or a dual T8 can be just fine, but a life glo as explained is the best way to go, I ran a single T8 with a life glo over a 55g and grew swords, crypts, vals, anubias and water sprite just fine.

My plans list:

Dwarf Anubias (Anubias barteri var. nana)

*Anubias naine "golden"

*Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Tropica’

Cryptocoryne wendtii

Giant Vallisneria

Java Moss

Moss ball

Windelov's fern

Rotala Indica

Egeria densa

*Sunset Hydro

*African Water Fern

* - will buy soon.

I have single T8 Aqua Glo 20W for 29 gallon (18 inch tall). 0.7w/g.
Now I ordered the Glo Reflector, it must improve my lighting twice.

My plans list:

Dwarf Anubias (Anubias barteri var. nana)

*Anubias naine "golden"

*Cryptocoryne wendtii ‘Tropica’

Cryptocoryne wendtii

Giant Vallisneria

Java Moss

Moss ball

Windelov's fern

Rotala Indica

Egeria densa

*Sunset Hydro

*African Water Fern

* - will buy soon.

I have single T8 Aqua Glo 20W for 29 gallon (18 inch tall). 0.7w/g.
Now I ordered the Glo Reflector, it must improve my lighting twice.

I know for a fact that the rotala will wither and die under that light. I also recommend getting a T5HO. It will make life easier when you plan to upgrade. When I started I just wanted simple low light plants. Now I'm injected, with a little more than 3wpg and my tank is doing quite well and getting overgrown.

But in my fixture writen "only for T8 20w lamp", so I cannot install a T5HO?
New hood for T5 will cost me a 100$ :(

I'll try with a good reflector and T8 Life Glo.

But in my fixture writen "only for T8 20w lamp", so I cannot install a T5HO?
New hood for T5 will cost me a 100$ :(

I'll try with a good reflector and T8 Life Glo.

Yeah that was the point, buy a T5HO fixture lol I know it's a little more than you wana spend but it will help you down the road. You'll find yourself spending money for quick fixes that require upgrading (lights, ferts, glut/Co2)

Higher lighting isn't necessary. You just have to be aware of what you can grow with what you have. I've seen plenty of beautiful low light planted tanks and if that's what you want then more power to you. I would just research thoroughly as to what plants can go in that particular light level.

Higher lighting isn't necessary. You just have to be aware of what you can grow with what you have. I've seen plenty of beautiful low light planted tanks and if that's what you want then more power to you. I would just research thoroughly as to what plants can go in that particular light level.

Currently it's not necessary, my point is most of us gravitate towards the higher light/maintenance plants which require better lighting. That's why I suggested getting the t5ho now rather than later

Thanks, I'll start to buy a reflector and Life Glo bulb (6700k range closest to 6500k).
Maybe in the future I'll upgrade it to LED light or T5HO (I thinks LED is better).

One more question, is Lumens are important for bulb?

Currently it's not necessary, my point is most of us gravitate towards the higher light/maintenance plants which require better lighting. That's why I suggested getting the t5ho now rather than later

That's something I wont even try to deny, especially since I am going to double the lighting over my tank soon :) However there is merit in starting
Maybe in the future I'll upgrade it to LED light or T5HO (I thinks LED is better).slowly and learning the ropes of keeping a planted tank in a lower light situation rather than starting off with high light and having an algae farm exactly like I did when I started.

Thanks, I'll start to buy a reflector and Life Glo bulb (6700k range closest to 6500k).

One more question, is Lumens are important for bulb?

Lumens are a useless number for a planted tank. They are usually large numbers that are impressive but in the end don't mean anything for us.

Growing these under T-8 no light. Can't see it in the pics, but the top 1.5" of the plants are nice and pink!!

Attachments

• sale 003.jpg
    sale 003.jpg
    257.9 KB · Views: 98
  • sale 004.jpg
    sale 004.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 75
Topdogsellers offers a 30" fixture dual T-5 HO for $44

Same people I believe. Still only 24" bulbs in a 30" fixtures. 24" fixtures can be extended to 30", but still can be used for 24" tanks (15g, 20g, etc). 30" can only be used on 30" tanks (20L, 29g), so they're more versatile if you want to use it on another tank.

Back
Top Bottom