Why is my Glo betta continuously coming up for air ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JosyR

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I have recently become a fish mom and have never owned fish ( well I did but they were goldfish my mother purchased when I was very young and we kept them in a cup and they obviously died)

I have a betta , that I'd like to actually care for and enable her to thrive and be happy. Heres the backstory:

Three days ago I've purchased a female Glo betta. Unfortunately on Pinterest I have seen many betta fish in vases on their desk with miniature plants. I thought that was appropriate way of caring for this fish. However it was absolutely wrong. So then I did A LOT OF RESEARCH and went to the store and bought products for the fish.
These products where: a 3.5 gallon tank.( top fin- enchanted) which came with a filter. I purchased a 20 W heater by top fin and it self presets to 78 and my thermostat reads 80. I've decorated the entire tank added some Morimo moss balls and other structures. While setting the tank up I did add conditioner and bacteria starter to the water ( every water change etc), however I did not cycle the tank for a month. I only did it for 24 hours.

(p.s today I bought a golden mystery snail)

Anyway,

I've tested the water daily with the results of:
0 ammonia
and all other specs as per
nitrate @ 0 or negative.
nitrite @ 0
I live in Florida so the total hardness is @ 75.
0 chlorine.
The alkaline is at 120 and PH at 7.8.

I did buy the Glo betta flakes and pallets however I noticed she would eat it and spit it out often so I decided to buy her a better quality food.

I feed her "Sallys" blood worms as a treat and Omega one fish flakes for her staple diet because it doesn't have any "meal" in the ingredients.

With that said,
I thought she was fine However,
I've noticed that she has been coming up for air often. I understand that she can breathe both in the water and the air. but it is occurring way too often and I'm wondering if I need a bubbler or an air pump. I also know that betas are not fond of heavy water flow, so I am afraid to buy one or don't know which one to buy.

Finally, when I feed her, her stomach gets enlarged immediately right after. is this normal?
Also,
Im concerned with her gills they look a bit red (the pictures are from the beginning when I purchased -present)

Attachments

• 60991263989__3758B0DD-F3C2-4820-94D0-E0D9E61A7929.jpg
    60991263989__3758B0DD-F3C2-4820-94D0-E0D9E61A7929.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 61005408344__9FF999B4-5FEC-422A-AAE5-71E5FD01EF87.jpg
    61005408344__9FF999B4-5FEC-422A-AAE5-71E5FD01EF87.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5958.jpg
    IMG_5958.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5963.jpg
    IMG_5963.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 35
The redness around the gulls could be gill flukes.

The coming up for air often could be oxygen deffiency although I doubt it.

The bulging after feeding could be parasites in her stomach.

If its a boy then try and scare him an see If his "beard" will flare out... If it remains locked than its deffinetly gill flukes.

If it's a girl I won't have a beard I don't think.

It IS wonderful that you have read up on your Betta's care and you made improvements already. :)

The Aquarium Advice article link in my signature is full of useful information for starting new tanks.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fishin-cycling-step-dark-side/

Your fish is very light colored and the normal gills are literally red. If your fish is having breathing issues, she might need to go to the top more often. Also being stressed. It sounds like there has been a lot going on with 2 moves in a quick amount of time.

When these little fish sit in cups, they loose muscle strength, if they ever had any to begin with.

So when they get into a "big" tank (not a cup) they need to use up much more effort to swim. And with a filter there is current moving around which is a big work out!

Your fish should get stronger in time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Okay now what to look for as mentioned look at the gills and see if there are any tiny wormy things moving, also eyes, mouth, anal vent and look on the body for moving specks.

Your tank is not yet cycled and that is where you need to be prepared to do frequent checking for safe tank parameters.

The threads referenced will help you keep your fish safe.

Keep watching out for the little gal.

You can buy a mini air pump.
https://www.amazon.com/Hygger-Aquar...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PRHBFQXW9WVAWK034YC0

Hygger Quiet Mini Air Pump for Aquarium 1.5 Watt

or an adjustable pump.

Let us know if you find any parasites.

And as for food - just add the food very slowly so the fish can eat all of it before you give her more. This will help keep the waste low.

You can get a turkey baster and it works great for sucking out the poop and lost food in the bottom of the tank.

Also remember to rinse off any thing, including hand sanitizer from hands /arms going into the tank.

OP said in first post female Betta, though it wouldn't be the first time a store has mis-labeled a fish. (3rd paragraph 7th word, female)

Ok I believe she is a girl per the label on her cup when I got her . I’ll be looking out for parasites

Thank you! I have checked and do not see signs of parasites . I will buy the air pump just to be safe .

Back
Top Bottom