Black sand for planted tank - easiest kind?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPA

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm interested in using black sand for a 75G low-tech planted tank I am setting up. I know there are a lot of types out there, including some that are more cost-effective than others (pool filter sand, BDBS, etc.).

What I'm really trying to find out is what is the EASIEST black sand to use. By easy I mean does not require endless washing and will not cloud up the tank.

Any advice appreciated :)

I'm interested in using black sand for a 75G low-tech planted tank I am setting up. I know there are a lot of types out there, including some that are more cost-effective than others (pool filter sand, BDBS, etc.).

What I'm really trying to find out is what is the EASIEST black sand to use. By easy I mean does not require endless washing and will not cloud up the tank.

Any advice appreciated :)

Black Diamond Blasting sand.

Rinse well when you buy it, and it shouldn't cloud the tank. I rinsed mine maybe twice. Run some filter floss in the filter for a bit after setup, and entertain the idea of using a surface skimmer intake attachment for a canister filter.

second black diamond. Hit up a tractor supply, they have it.

I ended up going with Estes black sand. It was pricey, but it was also very clean - I set aside most of a day to clean it but after ten minutes with a bucket and hose it was good to go.

Back
Top Bottom