Canister filter media: what to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneu

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi.
So I am planning to get a new filter for a 75g heavily planted tank. The filter I am looking at is the fluval 406 filter.
This filter seems nice because it has 4 media baskets that are divided. So a total of 8 individual baskets you can use. So I can use alot of different types of media if needed.
What it comes with is the course sponge then a more finer sponge for the first basket. The second basket has the bio max for bacteria growth.

The last 2 baskets have carbon that come with the packaging. But I know not to use that for planted tanks. I was thinking of using some peat granules in the third basket to help soften and lower pH. What should I use for the final basket? Filter floss? I don't know really what that is. Can some explain this to me please?
Also, what media would I need to change out regularly? I know the sponges I would just rinse in tank water but not sure about the peat granules or fliter floss.
What do you guys think?
If you have a canaster filter you swear buy, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks so much [emoji1]

I'd just fill the last one with matrix. Your first basket will catch all the debris so really u can put anything u want. Even purigon if u wanted :)

I like perlite but its messy to deal with... Can be found at any garden store. Its basically super heated rock that has lots of tiny holes in it. Basically it is very porous. The issue is it has lots of fine particles that need to be rinsed out thoroughly and and it wants to float do to these air bubbles. So it has to be contained. I use it in both my cerges reactor /canister filter and my HOB Filter. In the cerges filter I use filter floss on top of it to keep it packed down. In the HOB FIlter I have mesh bags and have other mediums on top to hold it down

(here's a link to my cerges DIY and a pic for visual of what I'm describing)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f20/diy-cerges-co2-reactor-biofilter-357263.html

33696687290_7ef774fa11_z.jpg

Great water polisher. My water looks like glass The tiny bubbles in the perlite are fantastic for holding CO2 bubbles in my cerges and at the end of your light cycle that switches over to oxygen as the plants start to pearl and the water starts oxygenating. (Well in theory... It debatable but makes sense in my mind)

Not the easiest thing to deal with but not too difficult. A good semi fine strainer to filter out the super small particles and just remember it wants to float so both a good containment system and a system that ensure is stays down and doesn't float. Your 4 baskets would easily allow you to consider perlite as an option IMO

I vote Purigen for the last basket. It does a great job at making your water crystal clear. Filter floss would work too.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to go with seacham matrix as well as some peat granules.

Back
Top Bottom