Can't find the right lighting for planted 60 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I should soon be getting a 60 gallon aquarium, but I am having problems with finding the proper lighting for live plants. The 60 gallon aquarium comes with a hood, and fits two 48 in. fluoresent lightbulbs, which it already has. The problem is, the two lightbulbs are 40 watts each, equaling 80 watts in all which is not enough for a 60 gallon tank. I have not been able to find two freshwater 48 in. bulbs with a combined wattage of at least 120 watts to satisfy the plants light needs in the 60 gallon. I have seen saltwater bulbs with more wattage, but is there a difference between saltwater and freshwater lighting, or do I stick to freshwater? Also, I am interested in red or blue light at night to mellow out the tank and room and have a cool effect. First and foremost though, what can I get that will be cheap and will have enough light for my tank, and if possible to also have an extra fixture or two for the nightime bulbs. Are there 48 in. freshwater fluoresent bulbs that are 60 watts or more each?

Look into either building your own canopy, and fitting it with a pc (power compact) set up, or check some sites and see if they sell pc retrofit kits that will fit in your hood. Check our DIY section for much of this type info, getting enough light for a planted tank is always an issue. Hood manufacturers are way behind on the planted tank issue.

http://www.hellolights.com/ http://ahsupply.com/

Both of these sites are popular around here, I got mine from hellolights, built my own canopy.

Those were the sites I went to when looking for lighting. I'll consiter making my own canopy, or getting a different hood, cause I want this tank to be really sweet since the gameplan is that I am getting rid of all my current tanks and just having one killer tank.

I meant to ask this in the previous post, are metal halide lights appropriate for planted tanks? If so, is there anything I need to know about them, and are they any good?

I meant to ask this in the previous post, are metal halide lights appropriate for planted tanks? If so, is there anything I need to know about them, and are they any good?

They will work quite well, BUT, too hot, too expensive, use too much electricity. Go with the power compacts all the way.

Getting a glass top seems like a good idea, it would probably look messy, but I would be able to put a few strip lights on top and be able to put on however many I need to get enough light, and be able to rearrange them as I pleased, and I could do the red lighting for nightime. Anyone have input on this and or have any personal experience?

What is the difference between freshwater and saltwater bulbs? Saltwater bulbs have a higher wattage, but can they be used with freshwater plant setups? Also, whats the difference between normal output and very high output?

the diffence between SW and FW bulbs is that FW and SW have diff. spectrums. For FW tanks you want to stay in the 6500 range, and SW you tend to use 10000. Get it? I think that you would do best using 2 94 watt pc bulbs

I would go to the hardware outlet to find your fixture if you are going to build your own canopy, I got a 48" double flouresent fixture for 12 bucks Canadian. its alot easier on the pocket book lol.

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom