Changing substrate? (Gravel to Sand)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eleven13

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

When I first set up my planted 10 gallon, it didn't cross my mind to use sand as my substrate instead of gravel, so I went ahead and used standard aquarium gravel. However, after seeing how nice sanded planted tanks look, and hearing the essentially unanimous opinion about how sand is superior to gravel, I'd like to change to a sand substrate.

I've done a little bit of research and I have a few things in mind, but I wanted to get your opinions. The substrates I have in mind are PFS, Seachem Flourite Black Sand, or Eco-Complete.

Which would you guys recommend I do? Right now, I have a 15watt T8 light over the tank, and currently no CO2, however I'm going to make a DIY CO2 this week. I have simple low light plants, but I'd also like to try my hand at making my micro swords carpet for me (and I'm assuming the sand will make that easier as well?). I dose with Flourish comprehensive, and I use API root tabs, but I'm going to make DIY root tabs the next time around as well.

Thank you for any advice!

I have just recently changed my aquarium to sand. No fertilized substrate like Seachem Flourite. Just normal beach sand (after being boiled of course). The plants in my aquarium are doing great! I have Myriophyllum and dwarf hairgrass. I have only had the M. for 3 weeks and already had to trim it twice. Sand is also easier to clean. But it will need more maintenance with a siphon because the poop doesn't sink into it. But when cleaning i would advice taking the end of the siphon off so you only have a tube. It's a lot easier. You will also need a filter that doesn't suck up sand, like a sponge filter.

Thank you for the advice, by a sponge filter do you mean covering the intake with a sponge or is it completely different filtration? Would I need that even if I went with something like PFS (Which I hear is heavier) or Flourite?

Back
Top Bottom