cleaning plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
how is the best way to clean plants. I will be changing out my substrate tonight or in the morning and was wanting to get rid of as many snails as possible as I have way to many so I would like to dip my plants in something or if just rinsing them well would work. Thanks for any helpful suggestions.
Wish me luck!!:BIG:

I have had nothing but luck with ALUM dipping the plants, any eggs are easily visible and cut off and the snails fall to the bottom of the bucket. before you rinse em check them they should be snail free.

Dipping in ALUM is the safe way to get rid of snails from plants. You can also try bleach (1:10 fro 30 sec or less, then rinse in dechlor+water), but some plants will be killed by the bleaching. <OTOH, bleach also kills algae, so if the plant is algae infested & not bleach sensitive, that's what I would do.>

ok thanks I don't have any ALUM but I think I got most of my snails out when i got rid of my gravel. I will also be trimming the plants really well before placing back into the tank with my new eco complete substrate. I also have two really good snail hunters IE my two younger sons have been pulling out any snails they can as they are climming around on top of the plants in the 5 gallons tank they are all in at this time. So hopefully I will have just a hand full of MTS left when all said and done.

Thanks for the helpful info

Back
Top Bottom