CO2 Question- Any Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corbo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I am trying to get everything in my 29 Gallon tank down to a science...

I have one last issue, and that would of course be- CO2!

I run 1 DIY 1.89L Juice Bottle (which seems to produce most of my CO2)
AND a Red Sea CO2 Bio Generator (which honestly seems next to worthless)

I am able to keep my CO2 levels Green on my little CO2 indicator thing, but only for about a week... I have started replacing my DIY mix more often, but the wretched wait for it to start sending bubbles back into my mini power head is always a pain in the butt.

-- SO, my question to you all, is- Is there a way to make this easier on myself? I know pressurized set-ups can cost like $300, and I don't exactly have that much money to spend right now. I could probably round up $100 or so to truly pour into a project like this, so I wondered what kind of options I would have.

Would a paintball CO2 produce enough for a 29gallon? Are there any pre-made set-ups anyone would suggest saving for especially? I just feel like there would have to be a better way to keep my CO2 at 30-40ppm.. my plants seem fine, but I know they would prefer more CO2...

anways,

Thanks for everything!

-Corbin

You can get a pressurized setup for about $150-160. You've already got a drop checker, so all you need is a cylinder, regulator (which for $89 will come with a solenoid, needle valve, bubble counter, and tubing), and some kind of diffuser. A glass diffuser can be had a for a few dollars, or whatever you're using now may work.

That's the problem with DIY... they're not consistent.

I got my Regulator/solenoid/bubble counter/needle valve/tubing from eseasongear.com for $89
I got my cylinder from kegerator.com for $50
I DIY'd my inline reactor
I got my drop checker from greenleafeaquarium.com though you can get them for like $3 on ebay, shipping just takes forever.

I need to look into getting all these seperately.. It seems to me that buying a "complete setup" is way more expensive... Although, I will admit a pH regulator would be pretty sweet because my water here seems blah, but not too bad.

I don't have a bubble counter, other than an extra bottle set up next to my big bottle haha... it works fairly well I suppose... I actually ordered 2 glass diffusers from a place called Fish Street... pretty sure their foreign because their English wasn't so good, I got one for my 10 gallon and just bought an extra for safe measures, but they haven't got here yet. Not quite sure what an inline reactor even does to be honest! I'm clueless to half of this stuff...

Ahh... so much to learn.

The inline reactor is the diffusion method I use. It's just hooked in to my canister filter and the co2 is fed in to it, then in to the tank... It doesn't put bubbles in the tank, which is why I went with it. But, a glass diffuser is fine, and is actually forts preferred method. That regulator kit from eseasongear has everything you need except for a cylinder. So, for $139 you'll have everything minus whatever it costs you to fill your cylinder (anywhere from $10-30 depending on where you go). One 5lb cylinder should last you anywhere from 6 months to a year or more. Seems like one of our mods has had his 5lb cylinder on his 30 long for almost a year now without a refill. And its consistent, which is what is best for a planted tank.

Ok, I've decided against the paintball set-up... the 5lb would just be more convenient for not that much more money, and less set up.

Thank you MFD!

Now, time to round up some money!

I think it will be cheaper in the long run as well. You may want to check around your local welding shop, beverage distributers, etc for a cylinder as well. Sometimes you can find them cheaper locally, I couldn't find one for less than $100 local, but fort said he got his for about $40. Also, shop around for refill prices. It costs me right at $20 to refill, but a place about 45 minutes away charged $7.

You don't need a solenoid. You can run your CO2 24/7. You can get a regulator for about 50 bucks from beverage factory: Amazon.com: Commercial Grade Double Gauge Co2 Beer Regulator: Kitchen & Dining

Make calls around welding shops to see if you can get into a trade in deal (basically pay for a used tank ~40 bucks and then trade in with them when you're out)

A needle valve will run you about 20-40 dollars depending how good you want it. Mine cost me 54....

A bubble counter you can Diy with a bottle with two holes drilled at the top filled with veggie or mineral oil.

Diffusers can just be you canister filter or you can make one or buy one for about 10-20 dollars.

I personally use a paintball set up in my 20 long. It works excellently. I built it for only 40 dollars at first. Then my needle valve crapped out on me so I bought a swagelok needle valve for it for 54 dollars. It's an awesome needle valve and is really easy to adjust.

Alright... Well I have looked into this... I think here is my plan-

On Green leaf aquariums they have an adapter for paintball tanks to go to regular co2 regulators. I think I'll go ahead and invest in a good regulator now, and just use my buddies paintball tank. Then, in the future I'll look into a co2 cylinder... Just because that's a big thing to have in a dorm next year when I start college...

I hope moving my 29 won't be too hard to get to college. I hope they let me have it too

Back
Top Bottom