Common plecos and plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Friendly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do common plecos eat plants and would it be a good idea to have one in a planted tank?

Why are you looking at getting one? Is it because you want a bottom feeder or do you want something that eats algae? What size tank do you have? If you are looking for an algae eater then you might want to consider some otos (get 1 per 10 gallons usually) or perhaps a bristlenose or rubber-lipped pleco. Each has its advantages and I actually combine them in some of my tanks.

Friendly said:
Do common plecos eat plants and would it be a good idea to have one in a planted tank?

IME, I have not seen any of my plecos eat plants. As a matter of fact, I have 7 plecos in my planted tank at the moment.

Common plecos are probably not the best choice for planted tanks. You're much better off with any of the Ancistrus (bushy nose), species. :wink:

Thanks guys!

I have a 75g tank and I'm looking for an algae eater (one that can clean algae off plants and wont be so rough on the leaves) and a bottom feeder. I wanted cory cats for bottom feeders but I have flourite in my tank. I went to a lfs yesterday but they didn't have anything acept a common pleco. I'm gonna try another lfs to see if they have any otos or bristle nose plecos. Also, aren’t plecos aggressive towards each other?

With 7 in my tank, I would gladly tell you the truth. No aggression at all. I have a breeding pair in another tank due to the territorial issues that they may have. I've found them to be very peaceful and quite accommodating to their tankmates.

Common plecos do not eat plants. They are sloppy eaters though and will tear edges of plants while they rasp the algae off. Be advised that not all plecos eat algae and some require wood in their diet.

Back
Top Bottom