Did some Re-planting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Small update, tank is growing in slowly, starting to see the potential again. Got a few new plants, removed some others, struggling to find balance, have to let it grow in a bit more. Searching for a nice foreground plant to blend the line of the midground more naturally, a little to strait at the moment. It's getting closer :)

Attachments

• picture_1216_393.jpg
    picture_1216_393.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 20
Now that I've been able to re-secure my jaw, I can comment:

First, where are you getting your plants from? That senegalinsis is absolutely beautiful!

Second, realizing you have an inability to keep your hands out of the tank for any period of time, I found a support group online. They postulate that they can help but you must first acknowledge your addiction. Give them a try.

http://www.Icantkeepmyhandsoutofmybeautifulplantedtank.com I can monitor your progress remotely. :wink:

I am heavily hooked! My family is moving in Jan, I already have 2 rooms set aside for tanks. This comes with full support from my better half. Only problem is moving my existing tanks will not be fun. It's freezing up here in Jan, should be interesting.

Jchillin,I get my plants all over the place, anytime I pass a LFS I go in to see what they have. I get most of my plants from my local BA, the Ammania senegalinsis came from Aquariumplants.com. I plan on running 5 or 6 20 to 30 gallon tanks when I get moved. Dosing and up keep is alot easier on smaller tanks, I can also experiment with lots of different aquascapes at once, won't have to tear one down to try something new. I have lots of spare lights and filters from trying different stuff out on my journey, probably have six different lighting hoods that I made myself, tons of DIYC02 gear as well. Got to put that stuff to use!

Your tank is teh pimp. FWIW I like it open much more than the microsword foreground -- it was just a distracting shape in there. I miss your sweet, sweet HC carpet and look forward to the new one growing in. It was my favorite, too. JMO, of course, pimp. :)

Quick update, just gave the tank a magor haircut. For some strange reason the small amount of HC I had left just would'nt take, and died off. :( Usually grows like a champ for me. Bit of straggly glosso hanging on in the foreground, not doing to much more to this tank till I get moved, may just rip it up and re-do the whole thing, maybe a small dutch style tank. :)

Attachments

• picture_1294_121.jpg
    picture_1294_121.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 54
lookin good. u have such interesting leaf shapes in there. i love the mix of plants. tank still looks good. i kinda like the open foreground look.

Heres a couple of shots of the 20, Havn't posted any shots of this tank in while because it was just looking terrible. I know this tank inside out, learned most everything from it, had it looking pretty good a few times. In the last few months, nothing will grow in it, even plants that were very healthy and happy before. I'm thinking the substrate may be getting tired after a year of supporting tons of different plants. Maybe it just needs a good gravel vac, which I've never done. The substrate is Eco complete. I am back to the mist method running higher C02 levels, around 40 ppm. Tank is looking better, still not great. Only reason I havn't torn it down in frustration is because I want to bring it back so I can figure out what the heck went/is still wrong with this tank. When I figure it out I'll let you all know :)

That tanks looks great. I wish I had half the talent you have when it comes to growing plants and there arangement in the tank.

Quick update, tank is looking alot better since I did 2 things:
1, back to mist diffusion, C02 through a limewood airstone, directly into a small power head, you can see it on the right side.
2, Equally as important, two new bulbs. Thanks rkilling!
Still not great but coming back, got some red happening again :)

Your not even close to being done Jchillin, your tank is looking amazing! If you saw this tank a couple of months back, you would have handed me the brick to toss through it!

Very nice Glen. I like the very distinctive look of your tank. You can make out every plant in there.

Couple of new shots, midground has grown in nice, fore and background need some work. By the time I get them in shape, my nice midground will grow out on me! AH, the challenge of the hobby :)

Attachments

• img_0049_131.jpg
    img_0049_131.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 37
  • img_0053_127.jpg
    img_0053_127.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 29
You just make it worse and worse eh Glen? If your goal is to have me give up the hobby, you may well succeed if this keeps up. I cannot have my wife continously asking me why my tank doesn't look like yours. :wink:

Wow Glen that is fantastic! I love the colors and the definition of the plants the way you have them arranged. If you ever head to SK let me know, you can come stay at my place and rescape my tanks. :)

Bill your tank is no slouch. :wink:

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been trying something different on this tank for a while now, with excellent results. Three months ago this tank took a serious dive, nothing would grow anymore, no matter what I tried. I'm not a real patient person. I almost drained it. If it looks a little dark, there is a reason. Though the bulbs are new, I am running half the light I normally run on this tank. 2x14 wts T-5. Thats it. The algea has all but disappeared, plant growth and colour are still good. I am still injecting C02 and dosing. C02 is around 30 ppm, dose ferts twice a week instead of three, 50% water change every Fri.
There are mostly low-med light plants in here at the moment, not on purpose, sorta by process of elimination, all the nicer plants died off. I have recently added some R Macrandra and it's doing well. I going to add a few higher light plants back and see if they can thrive. I know cutting back the light will make a tank easier to manage, but how low can you go and still grow the more challenging species, and still get the nice colour that a high light tank gaurantees? Stay tuned!
P.S. Jchillin, as Zagz said, your tank ain't no slouch!

Back
Top Bottom