difference between calcium chloride and calcium sulfate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBlasto

Aquarium Advice Freak
Besides the chemical components which I'm guessing is chlorine and sulfate how do these fertilizers behave differently in a planted tank?

I've read in discus forums where hobbyists add calcium chloride to their RO water to eliminate calcium deficiency. Well, on the GreenLeafAquarium website they sell calcium sulfate (which I ordered) and calcium nitrate but nobody seems to sell calcium chloride. I'm wondering if this is the type of situation as 1 dozen or 12 eggs are the same and I'm getting basically the same thing with the calcium sulfate?

Anyone that can tell me what's the difference I'd greatly appreciate.

Well, I just read an article that states that Discus don't like calcium chloride but calcium sulfate might be beneficial to use...

I guess everyone has their opinion since I also read Discus people adding calcium chloride, SO hehe, this hobby has never ending reading material, a lot with conflicting info...

Water Quality Management in The Discus Aquarium

Anyway, I guess I dose the calcium sulfate and smile :brows:

If opinions were underware, this hobby would be Fruit of the Loom.

So, the obvious difference between the two is that CaSO4 has sulfate and CaCl2 has two chlorides. I believe what a lot of people do is make a mixture of the two, although that would be better left to the discus folks to hash out.

You might be able to get CaCl2 at a pool supply store.

Back
Top Bottom