diy c02 mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedgy90

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys. Im using diy c02 and was wondering whats your perfect mix? I am new to it and mine isnt long lasting at all two days of 2 bubbles a second then it slowed alot. I used half a tablespoon of yeast and half a cup of sugar. Ideas??? Thanks.

There is no perfect mix, it varies. The more yeast you put in right away the more co2, but it doesnt last long. Less and it will produce little but over more time.
Adding half a teaspoon of bakingsoda helps to, and theres diffrent types of yeasts and sugars to use

Yeah, you used too much yeast and not enough sugar. I think the most common is two cups sugar 1/4 tablespoon of yeast and you can add the baking soda if you want to even up the process. I'm looking into trying brewers yeast soon as that stops at a higher alcohol content, and should last longer. From what I've read standard baking yeast will stop at something like 7% alcohol and brewers will go up to 30%. This is just something I've read and worth looking into, not sure if it factual! :) I may try it soon though cuz I'm tired of remixing mine every week!

I use 3 cups of sugar and 1/2 tbs of yeast for a gallon jug fast steady production for a very long time.

Thanks guys. I will use up my yeast then try champagne or brewing yeast.

Those yeasts can handle a much higher alcohol content but they will use the sugar much faster. I've brewed lots of beer and those specialty yeasts are quite volatile :)

And you dont have to activate it. Dry yeast must be activated, which is my least favorite part of DIY co2

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom