DIY Co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DIY would probably not be enough for an 80 gal. setup.

If you are a glutton for punishment, you can set up four or more bottles which might work, but would get expensive quickly.

If you can cough up the bucks, regulated will work for sure with much less hassel.

whats the biggest size tank a DIY Co2 will work for? i am going to be setting up a 35 gallon in a couple week and wonder if that would be ok

Depends if you are doing supplementary CO2 (not required by high light) or need to maintain 30-40 ppm to stave off algae. Anything <20g you're going to see diminishing returns on DIY algae. In theory you can keep adding DIY CO2 containers, but you'll quickly find maintaining such a setup to be time consuming.

Exactly how much you will need varies greatly based on diffusion method, how much gets wasted in the process, surface agitation, etc. I run 2 bps on my 40, but I run my CO2 hot. YMMV

DrRockzo said:
whats the biggest size tank a DIY Co2 will work for? i am going to be setting up a 35 gallon in a couple week and wonder if that would be ok

I have DIY CO2 for my 75 gallon. I use around 10 liter of yeast solution. IME, the diffusion method is important. If you can diffuse 100% of CO2, you'll be fine. Just make aure that no CO2 bubbles not goong to water surface.

rasbora said:
Just make aure that no CO2 bubbles not goong to water surface.
I mean : just make sure that no CO2 bubbles going to water surface.

I have DIY CO2 for my 75 gallon. I use around 10 liter of yeast solution. IME, the diffusion method is important. If you can diffuse 100% of CO2, you'll be fine. Just make aure that no CO2 bubbles not goong to water surface.

Rasbora,

For posterity's sake, can you give a brief description of this setup? It might be what Dr. Roz is looking for, and I myself am curious about how you have it setup.

aqua_chem said:
Rasbora,

For posterity's sake, can you give a brief description of this setup? It might be what Dr. Roz is looking for, and I myself am curious about how you have it setup.

My setup:
3 bottles of yeast solution @ 3.5 liter each. Change one bottle every week.

image-3834232728.jpg

diffuser : eheim canister filter. I made a little hole in the intake of the filter and connect the CO2 tube directly to it.

From my 75 gallon tank:
image-1530409758.jpg

From my 15 gallon tank:

image-4211661175.jpg

Even with 1 bps I can get high CO2 ppm as you can see in this drop checker:

image-3709594719.jpg

The solution is the default came with the drop checker, but I am sure it is accurate because I also checked mh CO2 with ph/KH chart, and I am sure also because my plants grows fast.

image-3398282604.jpg

Just make sure you do not make too strong water surface movement. When I point my circulator pump to the surface, the drop checker color changed from light green to green.

Back
Top Bottom