DIY lighting help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sillyfishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 10g tank with a hood and a 2 CFL fixture.

I'm going to derim the tank but want to keep the fixture. My idea was to make my own little legs for it and to silicone them to the light housing. What should I use to make the legs. Some time of bendy metal?

Next I want to paint the outside of the lighting a chrome color. What paint is safe for aquariums that comes in a chrome or metallic color?

Also, do I need to put a piece of glass on the bottom of the fixture so water doesnt splash in?

Lastly, if I have 2 CFLs and 1 T8 bulb over the tank, what lighting would that put me?

Can you post a pic of the fixture? That might make it easier to suggest some good material to consider for legs.

As far as paint, you can use metallic colored spray paint.

For the fixture, something like this would be fine, so long as it is dry for 24 hours or so before you put it over the tank:
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 11-oz. Protective Enamel Bright Coat Metallic Gloss Chrome Spray Paint (6 pack)-7718830 at The Home Depot

I wouldn't worry too much about glass under the fixture. I have run many CFL lamps without a splash guard and never had an issue.

You said 2 CFLs and 1 T8 - what are the wattages of the bulbs? That will help determine more closely what category of light your tank exhibits.

Can you post a pic of the fixture? That might make it easier to suggest some good material to consider for legs.

As far as paint, you can use metallic colored spray paint.

For the fixture, something like this would be fine, so long as it is dry for 24 hours or so before you put it over the tank:
Rust-Oleum Stops Rust 11-oz. Protective Enamel Bright Coat Metallic Gloss Chrome Spray Paint (6 pack)-7718830 at The Home Depot

I wouldn't worry too much about glass under the fixture. I have run many CFL lamps without a splash guard and never had an issue.

You said 2 CFLs and 1 T8 - what are the wattages of the bulbs? That will help determine more closely what category of light your tank exhibits.

I can buy whatever CFLs and T8s that are needed. The plan is to use dry ferts and metracide 14, so i don't want to go too high of light. I will edit in pictures when I take them.

I can buy whatever CFLs and T8s that are needed. The plan is to use dry ferts and metracide 14, so i don't want to go too high of light. I will edit in pictures when I take them.

For screw in CFLs you can buy different wattages to a point. For your t8 fixture however it will hold only 1 wattage bulb.

First 2 are the fixture top and bottom, 3rd picture is the how far the legs have to go (imagine the rim isn't there :p)

I was thinking maybe a clothes hanger bent and siliconed to the fixture)

Attachments

• image-573766124.jpg
    image-573766124.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 33
  • image-818036939.jpg
    image-818036939.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image-3981201192.jpg
    image-3981201192.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 25
Can't really see much in the photos but your plan would probably work. If you wanted a little cleaner look you can buy stock aluminum rod that you can bend at a place like hobby lobby.

Can't really see much in the photos but your plan would probably work. If you wanted a little cleaner look you can buy stock aluminum rod that you can bend at a place like hobby lobby.

Haha sorry. Everything is in my storage room and I was literally standing in a little triangle in between paintings, the tank and a glass table.

Back
Top Bottom