Dosing with potassium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swifty

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently I've got some Flourish Excel+Comprehensive because I bought a whole bunch of plants on an awesome site. The plants came in great condition and were huge, and also included some freebies. It's only been a week or so but I've followed the dosing instructions for them, which is flourish comprehensive on sunday/wednesday, and excel every day. The reason I got them in the first place was my old sword plants had potassium deficiencies. I'm already using flourish tabs, about 1 for each sword plant a few inches near them and 1 inch deep in the substrate.

Since the week I've been using these 2 products several old leaves on the new swords are starting to lighten up around the edges, so I'm not thinking the comprehensive has enough potassium.

I ordered some potassium last night, and from seachem's website they suggest 2-3 times a week.

I ask, can I dose potassium on the same day I dose comprehensive or does it have to be different days?

I use the Comprehensive but not potassium but there is no reason you can't dose them on the same day. When using things like dry ferts you dose macro and micro nutrients all together so there is no reason you couldn't with liquid ferts.

Since the week I've been using these 2 products several old leaves on the new swords are starting to lighten up around the edges, so I'm not thinking the comprehensive has enough potassium.

That doesn't sound potassium deficiency. Nitrogen or phosphate behaves more like that.

Could it? I thought the pin holes with yellow around them was potassium deficiency. They have been planted a few days ago so some of it I'm thinking it is just the old leaves dying off. My 3 month old sword did that so I was preparing for it.

My other anubias had a leaf or 2 with 1-2 small pin holes so I figured I might as well start now before any other got worse.

Do you have any photos of your tank? Just curious to see how it looks. If you aren't dosing macros, you definitely should be, to rule out that factor. It sounds like you are on the right track with that anyhow. Remember that nutrient deficiencies often take several weeks before you see improvement or changes, so try to be patient when waiting for results.

Back
Top Bottom