Dyi co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have recently set up a 180 gallon tank with a moderate number of plants. Several types of sword, a couple types of ludwigia, some crypt undulata, several tiger lotuses, and dwarf four leaf clover and microswords. I have 8 t5ho lights that I was running 10-12 hours per day but due to a green dust and diatomes outbreak I have cut the lights in half and run them 10 hours on a timer now. I wanted to add co2 but after spending a significant amount of money setting up the tank I simply cannot afford the hundreds of dollars that would require right now. I was thinking of setting up a dual dyi co2 system, 1 on each side of the tank utilizing 3 each 2 liter bottles as a temporary solution. I realize that it wouldn't be able to provide the full requirements of co2 but would it be better then nothing? Or is this just a waste of time?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It would be better than nothing. Things you can do to retain the CO2 is to reduce surface agitation from the filters (divert flow, etc).
A setup including an AquaTek Premium Regulator, 5# tank, CO2 tubing, drop checker, ceramic diffuser, bubble counter, and check valve can be had for under $200 on Amazon.
An alternative would be the use of Glutaraldehyde. This is similar to using API CO2 Booster and Seachem Excel but more cost effective. A gallon on Amazon runs for ~$25 and is twice as concentrated as the aforementioned products. Supplies the necessary carbon for plant growth.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Go get one of the plastic 5 gallon water bottles. That would probably work well, same setup just scaled a little larger, use 10lbs of sugar.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

How long would something g like that last? I know the 2 liters are good fro 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I make wine in mine and they bubble for several weeks pretty vigorously, then it'll slow for another month or two.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom