EI dosing question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

875mill

Aquarium Advice Activist
I dont have a high light tank so insted of dosing 3 times a week im going to drop back to two.
My question is if im wanting to target 30 ppm no3 and 30 ppm k, do I dose that much twice or do I just add 15 ppm twice?

u do it based on how much your plants use in between dosing. if u bring your levels up to 30 ppm of each lets say on monday and by thursday your levels are 15 no3 and 20 K then u would dose 15 no3 and 10 k to balance again. but test a few weeks ina row to see if u get an rough consistant drop so u know what to dose. even with EI u still need to measure some levels. pleae take this advice lightly since i am also relativly new to the dosing.

Mr Funk is exactly right. The "estimative" portion of EI is "estimating based on previous test results"

With lower light you may only need to add nitrates once a week. But you will only know from testing. Every tank is different and has different needs.

You could add 15ppm twice and not care so much about the target, then watch the plants and algae and be prepared to adjust dosing, instead of testing.

Only FYI, you could dose all the potassium at once if you want to. As you know excess K does not seem to cause issues, so may as well use it to your advantage. You'll add more potassium later in the week if you're dosing KNO3 for nitrates.

Also, there is no test to accurately test potassium. So you can dose once a week like stated above or split it up twice a week. Your choice.

Back
Top Bottom