Ever happen to you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquazen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I've gotten to a point where I'm not sure what to do with my tank. The plants are growing great. I've got riccia coming out the wazoo. Macrandra is looking nice and pink (though not as red as I'd like). Lots of pretty java moss, ferns, hornwort, and moneywort providing plenty of scenery. I've got active colorful guppies and a shiny blue dwarf gourami. But why does it feel so incomplete? I enjoy watching it, but I can't help but get this nagging feeling that something is missing. *sigh* :cry:

So you're saying I'm an addict? I better join AA. Oh, I am with AA. :)

aquazen said:
But why does it feel so incomplete? I enjoy watching it, but I can't help but get this nagging feeling that something is missing. *sigh* :cry:

I agree with Toitis. The above is a clear indication of the beginning of MTS. :wink:

trust me ... i am there with you man ... i am seriously thinking of getting another tank and putting something new in there or just selling off some of my fish.

i don't know

I get "bored" with my tanks too, and though you do need to set up another tank ( :wink: ) you will need to address the issue of the current tank, as you don't want to start neglecting it. Do what I do and re-do the aquascape. I do the same thing with the rooms in my house, as I get bored wtih the configuration of furniture and decorative items.

When my tanks get like that for me I lower the water level, remove large objects that can be easily removed, like driftwood and rocks, and net the fish. Everything goes into a bucket filled with tank water temporarily, usually separate buckets for each (driftwood/rocks in one bucket, plants in another, fish in another with the floating plants in with the fish). I remove the planted plants gently and set them in a bucket too. I would only recommend this for a well established tank that has been stable for a good long while. This procedure is the same as what you do when you move a tank.

This is a good opportunity to adjust the placement of the tank and stand in the room, if necessary, and replace styrofoam under the tank if it has it, etc. Also if you want to add better quality substrate to the existing it is a good time to do that, especially when it comes to a planted tank.

Fill the tank and start redecorating. Change things up in terms of where you place your objects, where the caves are, etc. Plants that may have gotten too large for the old position in the tank can be moved to the back, etc. I do this several times a year for most of my tanks and if done carefully you won't experience a cycle.

not to mention the fish will have fun in the "new" home findind new hiding spots and such...

I think you are right about re-scaping. Maybe I have to start moving things around. I'm thinking about getting rid of the resin treeroot. I originally bought it for the pleco to have a place to hide. Now that it has become very heavily planted, I doubt I need it anymore. My original idea was to keep the tank 'all natural'. This is as good a time as any to bring this idea into fruition.

I was also looking at the saltwater stuff after reading fishstix's comment. It is very VERY tempting. I'd probably enjoy it, but the cost and time needed to upkeep a salt water tank is preventive (will soon be working 60 hours a week). Thanks for all the ideas. I think I might do a little redecorating soon. :)

I went ahead and removed the resin tree stump. My tank is now all natural. I brought down the riccia to make a carpet. I'm pretty happy with it. Tankgirl, you are a genius! :wink:

Now if I can only keep my friend's goldfish from tearing it up.

Back
Top Bottom