fastest growing carpeting plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All depends on what you're running. Is this for a particular tank and were you going for a specific look? Something like dwarf baby tears will look a lot different than something like dwarf sag but the sag will grow considerably faster. But ultimately your lighting, ferts, tank size and whether you're running C02 or not will help determine your options best.

You could try dwarf sag, staurogyne repens, and even hydrocotyle japan.

Actually the sell the emersed form in a box at Pet Smart. Many on this forum has bought it, you can PM Brian_Nano12g as he got it and has it growing well. For about $8 you get a box with some say about 40ish little emersed plants/crowns.

I'd call first to be sure they've gotten it in as it's a fairly new item they are carrying and some say their stores haven't gotten it in yet. Also it is in emersed form which means it was grown with roots in water but the plant above water so the plant will look different when you get it and after submerged the leaves will change gradually to the ones you see in the picture.

I just saw ONE pack of Pogostemon helferi (grown emersed in gel as Rivercats described) at a local PetSmart the other day. I just did not know it was the same thing as Downoi.

I was at Pet Smart the other day and they had several packages and always keep the plants stocked so I just think it depends on the individual store.

I've moved your thread to the planted tank section.

Anything in the hydrocotyle genus is a weed (sibthorpioides, japan, etc). Glossostigma elatinoides is probably one of the faster growing ones as well. If you can make HC happy, then it absolutely takes off as well. Dwarf sag is also a fast growing plant, although many probably wouldn't consider it a carpeting plant in most tanks (myself included).

Honestly, most carpeting plants are voracious growers if given the right conditions. Are you planning on using CO2?

Back
Top Bottom