First attempt @ Planting a Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aarongalvan

Aquarium Advice Regular
Here's my question...
:clown:
I have a Breeder tank that I use for when my Mollies are prego. I have two in there now, and 5 or 6 fry; I want to add some Java Fern, and something tall.

That was a statement; now here's the question can I add Java Fern, or do I have to plant a tank before the fish are in it?

I won't put in any driftwood because I know Mollies like slightly hard water. I plan on stuffing some Java Moss into a few large seashells and putting some nylon mesh over them and see what happens!

Ideas, Comments, Corrections, Solutions, Problems?

Definitely, add it now as there are very little rules when it comes to java ferns. A nice fast growing tall plant like cabomba can work as well. What type of substrate are you using? Plants like a small grain gravel so their roots can take hold. Another question is what is your current lighting?

Java fern and java moss are nice easy plants to grow. You can add them whenever you want. Your molly fry will especially like the java moss I think, as it will give them plenty of cover when it really starts to grow. :)

I just have low lighting... to be honest I'm not sure what the Wattage is because I'm at work right now! LOL Yes I'm addicted to AA.
It's probably about 15 watts? Plus it gets some indirect sunlight.

I have basic UGLY BLUE and GREEN gravel... It came with the tank; and some river stones.

some of the java fern i have just rest on the gravel. might want to try a rock to tie the java fern down to if you want.

java moss would do fine and yes add it now. I would avoid cabomba in a low light setup and needs alot of light. With out it cabomba will get too leggy and will not thrive.

Back
Top Bottom