Flourish Excel As Algacide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kashif314

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am battling with algae. Started from normal green to hair algae to black beard algae. Bought some zebra nerites but two died and one remaining. Also a small siamese algae eater because tank is only 15 gallon so I can't keep her for long and she developed love for fish food and not helping as I was expecting.

I dosed my tank with excel and it helped me to get rid of bba and hair algae but I keep my lights on for long and they are extremely bright like sun but they are necessary because of the nature of plants.

1) So now the main question is that what dose of excel I must dose daily to prevent algae in my tank? I run pressurised co2 so I am not sure what is the prevention dose I need for a 15 gallon. Please advise.

2) Also does excel clouds the water if used in excess? I had cloudy water on occasions after using excel but that maybe a coincidence. Please advise.

Thanks.

Excel will help with algae but won't cure it. You will need to feel out your balances to get to the cause of your increased algae.

I myself supplement my pressurized CO2 with about 2 ml excel addition daily. I run a densely planted 30 gallon tank.

It should not cloud your water

Dont run your lights for more than 7-8 hours
From what I researched dwarf baby tears need 10 to 14 hours of lightning and need very bright lights to stay happy and thrive.
Excel will help with algae but won't cure it. You will need to feel out your balances to get to the cause of your increased algae.

I myself supplement my pressurized CO2 with about 2 ml excel addition daily. I run a densely planted 30 gallon tank.

It should not cloud your water
I am trying to find the balance but when i was researching I found out that almost all people who have HC carpet have this issue. This carpet needs lights on for 10 hours minimum to 14 hours max and more over need very bright lights. As soon as turn on my co2 and turn on lights after an hour I see pearling starts in like fifteen minutes which is a good sign.

When you said supplement. Do you mean you switch of pressurised co2 or do you mean you dose excel with co2 injection? Sorry my English isn't too good.

If I need to dose excel with co2 injection what dose shall I go for on daily basis. Its a 15 gallon. So maybe 1 ml?

When you said supplement. Do you mean you switch of pressurised co2 or do you mean you dose excel with co2 injection? Sorry my English isn't too good.

If I need to dose excel with co2 injection what dose shall I go for on daily basis. Its a 15 gallon. So maybe 1 ml?

Yeah I add Liquid CO2 on top of my pressurized CO2 as part of a daily fert routine.

1 ml should be a good place to start

I’ve grown DBT successfully with only 8 hours per day. I ran one fixture from 3-8 pm and the other from 6-11 pm. The DBT was planted is small groups and it took a few months to fully carpet.
Algae is a pain. Cranking the CO2, spot treatment with Excel, and reducing the light period helped control different forms of it.
I did not use Excel, however. I used glutaraldehyde diluted 50:50 with water so that it was near Excel in strength. I believe I dosed at 1 mL per 10 gallons. While adding it, you might try spot treating areas that need it.

HC will grow in low light, and carpet, if CO2 requirements are met. (at least a 1.0 drop in pH).
Supplement CO2 by injecting it to the 1.0 pH drop, AND dose Excel (or equivalent) at 1.5x the rate.
5 hours of light MAX if you are battling algae. 5 hours of light will grow any aquarium plant.

Back
Top Bottom