Frustration!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MyCatsDrool

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do i measure my co2 level?

I have a KH kit and a pHkit.

PH reads about 6.8
KH - one drop turns it yellow (AP Kit)

HELP before i toss these kits out the winder.

Having a low KH is not that big of a deal, but you can't use the pH/KH chart then.

MyCatsDrool said:
what about CaCO2?

Never heard of that. You may want to try CaCO3.

I believe CaCO3 is Calcium Carbonate. Not sure what CaCO2 is..

Baking Soda is NaHCO3 Or Sodium BiCarbonate.

Baking, not Banking..

I think baking soda is CaCO2? Seems like 1tsp. raises kh 2 points on 20gal. or some such. One of the folks that have to buffer kh will be along shortly to straighten me out.

If you use a drop checker with a reference solution of KH then there is absolutely no reason to raise the KH of your tank just to make it easier to read your CO2 levels. You can buy some of the pretty (and expensive) ADA ones, the ADA knock offs (a bit less expensive), or even the plastic ones by Red Sea (least expensive). All work well, but some look a little nicer than others. You can even DIY one if you're handy and want to spend even less money.

You place the reference solution in the drop checker which is higher than your tank water but won't mix because of the design. The CO2 will then diffuse into the reference solution and level out at the same levels as your tank. It interacts with the pH solution turning it a shade of yellow, green, or blue which indicates whether you have too little, not enough, or too much CO2. The exact levels are determined by your KH reference solution which can be adjusted depending on what your target CO2 level is.

I also have extremely soft water - ie: <1KH and about 1GH. I agree with Purrbox about not increasing you KH only to make reading CO2 leavels easier. I do buffer my tank with 7.5 mL of CaCO3 and 15 mL of Equilibrium every water change. My pH runs 6.4, KH of 2, GH of 5, and a CO2, via chart, is 24 pmm. I have a 125 gallon tank and do run CO2 injection. I add the buffer of CaCO3 to assist with pH control with the CO2 injection.

Also, 5 mL = 1 teaspoon.

And yes, baking soda is NaHCO3 or Sodium BiCarbonate.

Back
Top Bottom