Getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emma_Spears

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to but plants with one of my Bettas but I have no idea how to start. I know where to get them but nothing else.

Welcome Emma_Spears.

Please share the set up(s) you have now? Size and /or kind, lights and filters if they have them.

Plants for beginning would be lower light and easy care like Java Fern, Anubias Nana "Petite", Cryptocoryne aka Crypts, like Green and Bronze, C. Parva.

Java Fern and Anubias are plants you tie to a rock or DW. The rhizome cannot be planted because it will likely rot. The roots can grow into the soil or attach to stones and DW.

I have a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter that has a low flow and lastly I have just a led white light on top

Quick easy way is a Anubias Nana or A. nana 'petite'.

Tie to a small stone or DW. Most independent lfs will have an assortment of stones and rocks plus DW for the aquarium. Stones are often sold by the pound and the DW by the piece and type as well.

Box pet stores will have plastic tubes with plants in them, you can find them in there. Sometimes they are already in the water. You want to make sure they are the nana varieties of Anubias because there are plenty which would be bigger than your whole tank.

Most stem plants will grow fine but you would need to keep trimming and removing parts all the time. If the top is open you let them grow out of the water.

Crypt parva is a smaller plant,
Dwarf Vallisneria aka Vallisneria nana aka Dwarf Val
Dwarf sagittaria subulata aka Dwarf Sag
Dwarf Chain Sword
Staurogyne Repens also found at box stores in plastic bags /cups
with gel in the roots called tissue cultured plants.

Bucephalandra aka Buce with small leaves are tied to a stone or DW

Windelov Java Fern or narrow leaf varieties are suited but may also get bulky in a small tank all can be divided/trimmed to remove the part which is too much, Tied on not planted in substrate

Baby Bolbitis is found at times Bolbitis Heteroclita Difformis super cute. Planted with a bit of the brown stems sticking above the substrate and out of the brightest light or shaded, off to a side towards a corner with less light.

Sometimes CL hobbyists are reducing the volume of plants and selling, even giving away plants (use safety precautions of course if ever meeting up with strangers). Aquarium clubs in the region have meetings and swaps and auctions/sales.

All these plants can survive with out a great deal of special pampering but may enjoy some ferts.

Back
Top Bottom