Glowlight tetra planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am currently planting my 10 gallon tank slowly but surely. I have 3 platys now, but I was curious as to how good glowlights look in a brightly lit tank. I just know bright light, which is what my cabomba needs, can wash out their colors. Anybody have experience with them in a planted tank.

By the way, I have 1x13 watt cfl bulb at 6500k in because two would over heat the tank.

Any ideas as to how well they would look, and if the green cabomba could grow good only on the brightly lit side?

Not sure about glowlights, but I have neons and Hengel's rasboras in my high-light 20H and they look good. I actually think they've gotten brighter since I went from the T5NO to the LEDs.

I don't think you're in any danger of washing out the colors with a 13W CFL if you get the right color bulb. A 2300K bulb will make the tank look very yellow and the fish will look dull. A good daylight spectrum bulb will make the tank more blue and show more pure colors.

Alright, it is a 6500k bulb, I had just read that they looked best under subdued lighting. Do you think the green cabomba would be okay throughout the tank or just directly under the bulb since there is only one side lit.

6500K should be good.

The cabomba will grow best on the bright side of the tank, but it might struggle because of insufficient light. Two 13W CFLs are really overheating your tank?

I am not certain they would, but two incandescents did. Though now that I think about it, they also give off more heat. I buy another cfl later and plant the other side.

I think it would be a good idea to try a second CFL. CFLs get warm, but not like an incandescent. Incandescent bulbs put a majority of the energy they use off as heat. Fluorescents are more efficient because they put out more light per watt used.

I have literally this week added 6 glow lights to my planted tank....stunning is the word I would use...I also added 5 harlequins colour doesn't seem compromised at all

Thank you both, I just finished up planting my tank with Anarcharis and a bit of green cabomba. So far, it all looks good, and stunning is the best word to describe them.

Back
Top Bottom