Hair Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blucat

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think I have hair algae, its brown and sort of looks like fluffy stuff. Its on my plants and on the inside of my tank on the glass. Accompanying it is light mild brown patches on the glass too. Is it hair algae? What about the brown patches? Is that part of hair algae? How can I get rid of this? Is it safe to use algae eating fish if my tank hasn't cycled yet? What about treatment?[/i]

ok ... Brown algae is also known as Diatoms. hair algae actually strings off of plants and fixtures and looks like this green hair. There are a few fish that eat diatoms. Of the most notable fish, Ottos would be the best at eating them.

How long has your tank been cycling for? partial water changes can also help reduce and eliminate diatoms.

Hope that helped some

Tank has been cycling nearly two weeks I guess. How to get rid of Brown Algae?

Looking at some pictures, it does not look like green hair algae, it looks like brown fluff

That would definately be brown algae or diatoms. You can get the otto catfish if your water tests are good. Ottos will clean up brown algae (diatoms) extremely fast for their size.

scrubbing can be good. try to take it all out intact by hand. The less you disturb it the more you will get.

Back
Top Bottom