Half gal planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiny tank

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today I was at the store and saw a .5 gallon Betta tank just because it was cheap. I've decided it would be cool to turn it into a planted tank. I know if i decide to do this it probably won't be fit for a fish but I am fine with that.

This is my first experience with aquatic live plants. The tank has no lights so I was going to put it by my window. Not sure what exactly I want In it because I dont know anything about plants. I just want to get creative with this. Any advice would be appreciated.

you could use a desk lamp with a screw in compact fluorescent bulbs and it would work well. you could also maybe put some shrimp in there to help eat algea. any pics of the tank?

Here it is. I do have a lamp above it. And the window is right there too. Its a 10" x 3.5" x 9" tank.

Attachments

• image-581382133.jpg
    image-581382133.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 114
hmm, i think some shrimp would do fine in there. it would be nice to see it full of small plants. what are you planning for substrate?

zach_1_6 said:
hmm, i think some shrimp would do fine in there. it would be nice to see it full of small plants. what are you planning for substrate?

Like I said, I don't have the first clue what to choose. I was thinking sandThough I don't want to buy a huge sack of sand for just a cup of it.

you can use sand, or regular gravel, or "special" planted tank gravel, or organic soil capped with gravel. lots of options. any idea on what plants you would want?

zach_1_6 said:
you can use sand, or regular gravel, or "special" planted tank gravel, or organic soil capped with gravel. lots of options. any idea on what plants you would want?

I was thinking moss all on the bottom with some plants sticking out. Just a small green, lively tank.

Great! I was going to buy new gravel for my tank anyway. I'll save a scoop for the little tank. I should be making the long trip to petco next weekend to start this thing.

Tiny tank said:
Here it is. I do have a lamp above it. And the window is right there too. Its a 10" x 3.5" x 9" tank.

10" x 3.5" x 9" = 315" cubed = ~1.14 gallons
No?

blert said:
10" x 3.5" x 9" = 315" cubed = ~1.14 gallons
No?

Just looked again and by the dimensions it says that that is the assembled size. And by looking at it in person it's definitely a half gal.

It's 10" wide x 3.5" deep x 9" tall. Again that's the assembled size. So it would just be a little shorter than that

I finally got around to measuring just the tank and it's 9" long x 3" wide x 5" deep. I looked at petco's website and they don't have any java moss or really anything short. The shortest plant it has is some micro sword that grows up to 5". Can I just get some plants that do grow taller and just cut them below the water level?

I finally got around to measuring just the tank and it's 9" long x 3" wide x 5" deep. I looked at petco's website and they don't have any java moss or really anything short. The shortest plant it has is some micro sword that grows up to 5". Can I just get some plants that do grow taller and just cut them below the water level?

Yes you can get plants that you may cut, plants like swords really shouldnt have their leaves cut, but rather the old ones removes to promote new growth

Back
Top Bottom